Tuesday 17 October 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 17th October 2023

Date: 17th October 2023

Time: from 9:10 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, strong wind, 11°C to 13°C

Having seen a Red Fox at the pond in the northern section of the site during my visit on 30th September 2023, I decided to visit the location again this morning to bait the area in the hope of getting some photos. As on my last visit on 3rd October 2023, this proved to be wholly unsuccessful.

However, despite the strong wind and the rather cold temperatures, I still had a successful visit.

Firstly, whilst in the northern section of the site, I heard a calling Grey Wagtail and briefly managed to spot it as it flew high overhead in a south westerly direction. This was my first record for this species at the site taking my total to 65 species.

Secondly, I saw flock of around 15 Jackdaws flying over the church, my first record of 2023 for this species at the site taking the total to 45 species (the same as for 2022).

In addition, and again in the northern section of the site, I saw a very distant Sparrowhawk being mobbed by a Carrion Crow plus 3 Green Woodpeckers (a single bird flying over the northern section of the site and 2 in the eastern section of the cemetery) 

Whilst by the pond in the northern section of the site, I had a very brief glimpse of a thrush species but frustratingly I could not confirm the identification as either a Song Thrush or my first Redwing of the autumn/winter.

With regard to mammals, I saw a single Grey Squirrel in the eastern section of the cemetery which posed nicely for a photo.

Unsurprisingly, given the weather, I failed to see any butterflies but I did see a Common Darter resting in the sun on “Hilly Road” leading down from the church to St. Nicholas Lane. I suspect that this may well be my last dragonfly sighting of the year.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Blackbird
Starling
Goldfinch
Grey Wagtail
Sparrowhawk
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon

Grey Squirrel

Common Darter

Here are some photos from my visit ....




























Photo: Grey Squirrel




























Photo: Common Darter



























Photo: heavily cropped photo of Sparrowhawk being mobbed by a Carrion Crow


















Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):


Birds = 45  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 23  (17)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:


Birds = 65
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 25
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature

#RestoreNatureNow
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.