Monday 7 October 2024

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 7th October 2024

Date: 7th October 2024

Time: from 9:20 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 12°C to 14°C

Following my visit to my other local patch site around St. Nicholas Church on 4th October 2024, it was another lovely sunny autumn morning.

It was a bit slow going in terms of wildlife but there were a few highlights from my visit.

There were still at least 3 Moorhens on Willow Pond and, whilst there, I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker fly into the trees adjacent to the path. I then quickly heard a briefly calling but unseen Green Woodpecker from the other side of the path.

Compared with my St. Nicholas Church local patch site where I see or hear Great Spotted Woodpeckers and Green Woodpeckers regularly, I rarely record them at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve so this morning’s woodpecker experience was a little surprising.

Grey Squirrels are always very evident at this time of year as they forage for acorns and I saw a single animal in the wooded area between Puckles Pond and the East Meadow, 2 between Prewers Pond and the Spanish Steps and another close to the western pedestrian gate.

Autumn is also a good time for fungi. I am no expert but the Seek app on my phone identified, hopefully correctly, Shaggy Mane and Pleated Inkcap plus another unidentified species, all in the Thorny Wood meadow.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit

Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Moorhen

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit ….
















Photo: Grey Squirrel

Photo: Grey Squirrel
















Photo: Shaggy Mane


Photo: Pleated Inkcap
















Photo: unidentified fungi species

Photo: unidentified fungi species

Site totals for 2024 to date (2023 totals in brackets):

Birds = 36 (36)

Mammals = 3 (2)
Butterflies = 12 (15)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11 (11)
Reptiles = 0 (1)
Amphibians = 1 (2)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 49

Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 15
Reptiles = 2
Amphibians = 3

Love nature .... act now
Restore and rewild our natural world
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.