Saturday 14 May 2022

Trip away from SS15 – Dorset (part 1)

On 11th May 2022, I visited the following sites

Portland Bill near Weymouth

RSPB Arne, Isle of Pubeck near Wareham

Wareham Forest near Wareham

Having seen the weather forecast the night before, I aborted my planned trip to RSPB Ham Wall which was very disappointing since I had been looking forward to yet another visit to this amazing wetland reserve in the Avalon Marshes at the heart of the Somerset Levels.

Instead, I left my campsite at Bobs Field Camping at 4 a.m. for the 2 hour drive down to Portland Bill in Dorset, in the hope of beating the advancing bad weather. As I left Glastonbury, I saw a Red Fox.

Portland Bill is the Isle of Portland’s southern tip, a 6 mile promontory into the English Channel and the southernmost point of Dorset. The coastline is rocky and just inland there are open fields and quarries. In addition to the Guillemots, Razorbills and Kittiwakes that breed on the cliffs, Portland Bill is one of the most important and productive locations in the UK for seabird passage and a landfall and departure point for spring and autumn migrations.

The highlights, amongst 18 species recorded during my visit, were as follows: Manx Shearwater (1), Gannet (c.20), Shag (c.10), Cormorant (2), Fulmar (1), Kittiwake (c.100), Guillemot (c.200), Razorbill (c.50), Oystercatcher (4), Wheatear (2), Swallow (3), Kestrel (1), Linnet (1)

Additions to my 2022 year list: Manx Shearwater, Gannet, Shag

I did have a definite sighting of a single Manx Shearwater but I did see another shearwater species which was possibly the much rarer Balearic Shearwater given that it appeared to be duller brown in colour and lacking the contrasting black and white plumage of its relative. However, I could not be certain of my identification so it remains one that got away.

When I left Portland Bill, the forecast rain had still not arrived but by the time that I reached RSPB Arne it was very grey and breezy and it definitely seemed like rain was on the way.

RSPB Arne is situated on the Isle of Purbeck set against the backdrop of Poole Harbour. It contains an amazing range of habitats such as heathland, oak woodland, acid grassland, mudflats, sandy beaches, saltmarsh, reedbeds and farmland and supports a huge variety of wildlife including all 6 of the UK’s reptile species.

I have visited RSPB Arne many times but this was definitely my most disappointing and unproductive visit given the deteriorating weather. However, whilst I failed to see any Dartford Warblers, for which the reserve is particularly noted, or any of the Poole Harbour Ospreys, I still managed to record an addition to my 2022 year list.

The highlights, amongst 26 species recorded during my visit, were as follows (heard only records in italics)Whimbrel (1), Bar-tailed Godwit (10), Curlew (10), Oystercatcher (8), Common Redshank (1), Shelduck (c.20), Great Crested Grebe (1), Cormorant (2), Chiffchaff (5 singing males), Blackcap (1 singing male and 2 other singing males heard), Swallow (5), Sika Deer (3), Rabbit

Addition to my 2022 year listWhimbrel

By late morning it was raining heavily so I decided to adjourn to the pub! I remembered the exceptionally good New Inn in the village of Church Knowle just outside Corfe Castle and again enjoyed some real ale and excellent food.

By the time I left the pub, the rain was much lighter but I drove straight to my campsite …. Wooders Campsite.

Wooders Campsite is a campsite comprising a large field adjacent to a working farm plus showers and toilets and costing £8 per night. There were just a few other people camping there in addition to myself.

I set up my tent and made something to eat early since I wanted to go out later in the evening to try and see Nightjars.

Campsite records (heard only records in italics): Tawny Owl (male and a male and female heard calling in the middle of the night), Cuckoo (1 male heard calling at 4:30 a.m. during the dawn chorus), Chiffchaff (1 singing male), Blackcap (1 singing male), Siskin (several birds heard calling), Coal Tit (several birds heard calling), Robin, Wren, Chaffinch, Woodpigeon, Pheasant




























Photo: Wooders campsite




























Photo: Wooders campsite




























Photo: Wooders campsite

I am not personally familiar with any good locations for Nightjars in Dorset but decided to visit the Great Ovens area of Wareham Forest due to its reasonably short distance from my campsite.

I arrived at the location around an hour before dark and walked out on to the heath. At around 9 p.m. after sunset, I started to hear the distinctive churring song of a male Nightjar but, despite moving closer to the source, I failed to see the bird in flight in the growing darkness. Nonetheless, it was another addition to my 2022 year list.

I also heard a male Tawny Owl calling briefly after it had gone dark and whilst it was still light I saw 2 Sika Deer and a male Stonechat and heard a singing male Willow Warbler.




























Photo: Great Ovens, Wareham Forest




























Photo: Great Ovens, Wareham Forest




























Photo: Great Ovens, Wareham Forest




























Photo: Great Ovens, Wareham Forest

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.