Saturday 14 May 2022

Trip away from SS15 – Wales, Dorset and West Sussex

I booked a rental car from 6th May to 13th May 2022 for a trip away from home to include visits to a number of sites in Wales, Dorset and West Sussex.

This was my second spring trip by car away from home to primarily pick up summer visitors (in addition to those already recorded at my local patch sites or during my April trip) or species where there is little or no prospect of seeing them locally to where I live.

My trip provided excellent birding opportunities and I recorded 129 bird species including 30 further additions to my UK year list for 2022 taking it to 182 species.

The 30 additions to my 2022 year list were as follows: Manx Shearwater, Gannet, Shag, White Stork, Mandarin, Osprey, Hobby, Red Grouse, Black Grouse, Whimbrel, Common Sandpiper, Guillemot, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Turtle Dove (heard only), Nightjar (heard only), Swift, Tree Pipit, Rock Pipit, Grey Wagtail, Dipper, Common Redstart, Whinchat, Wheatear, Mistle Thrush, Garden Warbler, Wood Warbler, Pied Flycatcher, Chough, Raven

In addition, I added Great White Egret to my Wales list.

In addition, I recorded 6 mammal species (Red Fox, Brown Hare, Rabbit, Sika Deer, Fallow Deer, Grey Squirrel) and 1 reptile species (Common Lizard)

6th May 2022

After picking up my rental car, I drove up to Travelodge Birmingham Hilton Park M6 for an overnight stay before a 2 hour drive the next morning to my first site in north Wales. During my journey from home, birding began with 2 Red Kites from the M25 and 1 Red Kite from the M1.

7th May 2022 …. Wales

I visited the following sites

World's End and the Ruabon Moors, Denbighshire

Nant Ffrancon in the Snowdonia National Park, Gwynedd

RSPB South Stack and Holyhead Harbour, Anglesey

See here for further information and photos

8th May 2022 …. Wales

I visited the following sites

RSPB Lake Vyrnwy in the Berwyn Mountains, Powys

RSPB Ynys-Hir near Machynlleth, Powys

MWT Dyfi Osprey Project near Machynlleth, Powys

Llyn Clywedog near Llanidloes, Powys

RWT Gilfach near Rhayader, Powys

See here for further information and photos

9th May 2022 …. Wales

I visited the following sites

RWT Gilfach near Rhayader, Powys

RSPB Carngafallt near Rhayader, Powys

Gigrin Farm near Rhayader, Powys

See here for further information and photos

10th May 2022 …. Wales

I visited the following sites

RSPB Cwm Clydach near Swansea

WWT Llanelli Wetland Centre near Llanelli, Carmarthenshire

See here for further information and photos

11th May 2022 …. Dorset

I visited the following sites

Portland Bill near Weymouth

RSPB Arne, Isle of Pubeck near Wareham

Wareham Forest (Great Ovens) near Wareham

See here for further information and photos

12th May 2022 …. Dorset and West Sussex

I visited the following sites

Wareham Forest (Morden Bog NNR) near Wareham

Knepp Wildland near Horsham

See here for further information and photos

13th May 2022 …. West Sussex

I visited the following site

Knepp Wildland near Horsham

See here for further information and photos

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.