Friday 10 February 2023

Trip away from SS15 - Hutton Country Park, Hutton, Essex

Hutton Country Park is a site that I had never visited before but I was prompted to do so by the regular posts on Twitter by @BrentwoodBirder.

Hutton Country Park is located opposite the Hutton Industrial Estate and has been owned by Brentwood Borough Council since 1997. It is designated as a Local Nature Reserve and supports a vast array of native flora and fauna and is thus managed as an area of conservation value in what is otherwise an area of vast intensive arable land and urban expansion.

The site covers 36 hectares and contains a large area of natural grassland, an area of ancient woodland, ponds, wetland and the River Wid which forms the northerly border.  The railway line from Southend to London dissects the site forming separate north and south sectors.

I spent an enjoyable 3 hours at Hutton Country Park on a sunny but very cold morning.

The highlight of my visit was a foraging flock of c.15 Lesser Redpolls, a further addition to my 2023 UK year list.

In addition, I saw a single Red Kite and heard a single calling Water Rail.

I also recorded the following species: Bullfinch (1 male), Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Great Spotted Woodpecker (2 "drumming" males heard), Green Woodpecker (1 heard calling), Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, Pheasant 

Finally, I saw 2 Reeves' Muntjacs and a single Rabbit.

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.