Tuesday 14 February 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 14th February 2023

Date: 14th February 2023

Time: from 8:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, -1°C to 3°C


It was a beautiful morning for my visit, initially misty but then sunny but also cold with remnants of a ground frost.


However, it proved to be a visit that left me very angry for reasons that I have explained here.


With regard to wildlife, I did not add any species to my 2023 site list but I did see 1 or possibly 2 singing and calling male Goldcrests in the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres and calling male Greenfinch in the south west corner of the site.


In addition, I recorded my first singing male Blackbird of the year. In fact, bird song was very evident this morning with Song Thrushes, Robins, Dunnocks, Wrens, Great Tits and Blue Tits also heard.


I also heard an excitably calling Great Spotted Woodpecker in the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres (but surprisingly no “drumming” males) plus a calling Green Woodpecker from the area immediately north of the cemetery.


With regard to mammals, I saw a Red Fox at the end of my visit from the fence adjacent to Larkins Tyres overlooking the field, scrub and hedges in the north of the site. I also saw a single Grey Squirrel from this same location.


Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Goldcrest

Blue Tit

Great Tit

Robin

Song Thrush

Blackbird

Dunnock

Wren

Greenfinch

Goldfinch

Green Woodpecker

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Jay

Magpie 

Carrion Crow

Woodpigeon 

Collared Dove


Red Fox

Reeves’ Muntjac


Here are a few photos from my visit:





























Photo: Blue Tit





























Photo: Blue Tit





























Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 26  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 0  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 60
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.