Friday 3 February 2023

Trip away from SS15 – Norfolk

I booked a rental car from 30th January to 2nd February 2023 for a trip away from home to include visits to a number of sites in Norfolk.

This was my first birding trip by car away from home to primarily add species to my 2023 UK year list.

My trip provided excellent birding opportunities including 37 additions to my 2023 UK year list taking it to 119 species.

The 37 additions to my 2023 UK year list were as follows: Red-throated Diver, Great Northern Diver, Black-necked Grebe, Gannet, Long-tailed Duck, Red-breasted Merganser, Goosander, Goldeneye, Pintail, Bewick’s Swan, Whooper Swan, Pink-footed Goose, Great White Egret, Little Egret, Sanderling, Golden Plover, Ruff, Turnstone, Long-eared Owl, Tawny Owl, Barn Owl, Hen Harrier, Merlin, Red Kite, Snow Bunting, Shorelark, Water Pipit, Grey Partridge, Red-legged Partridge, Bullfinch, Marsh Tit, Nuthatch, Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest, Brambling, Coal Tit, Linnet

Disappointingly, I failed to see any of the following expected or hoped for species at reliable locations or where recorded prior to my visit: Red-necked Grebe, Slavonian Grebe, Eurasian White-fronted Goose, Scaup, Common Scoter, Common Crane, Purple Sandpiper, Short-eared Owl, Waxwing, Treecreeper, Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer

In addition, I recorded 5 mammal species (Atlantic Grey Seal, Brown Hare, Chinese Water Deer, Reeves’ Muntjac, Grey Squirrel)

30th January 2023

I visited the following site: 

EWT Abberton Reservoir

See here for further information.

31st January 2023

I visited the following sites: 

Holkham National Nature Reserve including the freshmarsh and Holkham beach and bay

NWT Cley and Salthouse Marshes and specifically the East Bank, The Serpentine, Arnolds Marsh and the shoreline shingle ridge

Cley Spy in Glandford specifically for the Long-eared Owl that had been reported regularly since late December 2022

NWT Hickling Broad and Marshes and specifically the Stubb Mill viewpoint

See here for further information and photos.

1st February 2023

I visited the following sites: 

The area between Colkirk and Great Ryburgh specifically for a small group of Bewick’s Swans that had been regularly reported prior to my visit

Sculthorpe Moor 

Hunstanton cliffs

RSPB Titchwell Marsh 

See here for further information and photos.

2nd February 2023

I visited the following sites: 

NWT Holme Dunes specifically for the Shorelarks that had been regularly reported prior to my visit

The coast road running south east from Cromer to Horsey

RSPB Buckenham Marshes

See here for further information.

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.