Wednesday 5 July 2023

Trip away from SS15 – Dorset (part 1)

On 1st July 2023, I picked up my rental car in Chelmsford and then drove 140 miles down to Martin Down NNR on the Hampshire and Dorset border.

Martin Down NNR covers an area of 342 hectares and represents one of the largest areas of uninterrupted chalk downland and lowland grassland in the UK (Salisbury Plain and Porton Down being larger). It is home to an exceptional collection of birds, mammals, butterflies and wild flowers, including orchid species, many of which are rare or threatened.




























Photo: Martin Down NNR




























Photo: Martin Down NNR




























Photo: Martin Down NNR




























Photo: Martin Down NNR




























Photo: Martin Down NNR




























Photo: Martin Down NNR




























Photo: Martin Down NNR



























Photo: Pyramidal Orchid



























Photo: Common Spotted Orchid or Marsh Orchid?

Although the landscape is not dramatic, it does feel ancient. The great Bokerly Ditch runs along one side while mysterious mounds and dells hint that this was once a populated area in forgotten ages. The Bokerley Ditch dyke snakes along the western edge of Martin Down NNR and defines the Dorset/Hampshire border. It was perhaps built as a boundary in the Iron Age but fortified in the 5th or 6th centuries against invading Saxons.

Whilst it was a beautiful sunny day for my visit to Martin Down NNR, it was extremely windy which was very annoying and undoubtedly restricted my sightings.

Nonetheless, the abundance of butterflies was amazing and I managed to record 12 species, including Dark Green Fritillary, a species that I had not previously seen.

The highlights during my visit were as follows:

Birds (heard only records in italics): Common Whitethroat (3 singing males), Blackcap (1 singing male), Chiffchaff (6 singing males), Swallow (1), Corn Bunting (2 singing males plus another singing male heard), Yellowhammer (1 singing male plus 3 other singing males heard), Skylark (1 singing male plus 2 other singing males heard), Linnet (2)

Butterflies: Dark Green Fritillary (at least 20), Marbled White (at least 50), “golden” skipper species (Large Skipper and/or Small Skipper) (at least 30), Meadow Brown (at least 30), Small White (at least 10), Large White (at least 10), Small Heath (at least 5), Red Admiral (2), Painted Lady (1), Comma (1), Brimstone (1), Gatekeeper (1)

After a thoroughly enjoyable and productive walk at Martin Down NNR, I drove 23 miles south to Wooders Campsite near Bere Regis and located close to the extensive Wareham Forest. It comprises a large field adjacent to a working farm plus showers and toilets and costs £8 per night. Unlike my stay in May 2022 when there were just a few other people camping there in addition to myself, this time it was exceptionally busy although I still found a quiet corner.















Photo: Wooders campsite near Bere Regis

Photo: Wooders campsite near Bere Regis

After pitching my tent, I had an excellent evening meal at The Halfway Inn, located half way between Wareham and Corfe Castle (there is a clue in the name!), and then visited Morden Bog NNR.

Morden Bog NNR is a National Nature Reserve comprising one of the largest valley bog and mire habitats in England, together with extensive lowland heath. In addition to its National Nature Reserve status, the majority is also designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and a Ramsar site.















Photo: Morden Bog NNR















Photo: Morden Bog NNR
















Photo: Morden Bog NNR















Photo: Morden Bog NNR
















Photo: Morden Bog NNR















Photo: Morden Bog NNR















Photo: Morden Bog NNR















Photo: Morden Bog NNR















Photo: Morden Bog NNR

I visited Morden Bog NNR for the first time in May 2022 but from 5:30 a.m. in the morning (see here). This time, I specifically visited in the evening from just before sunset with the specific intention of trying to see Nightjars.

To say that I was successful is a complete under-statement. Apart from my first record of Nightjar for the year and an addition to my 2023 UK year list, I had my best experience of watching this species ever!

The first male Nightjars began “churring” at 9:35 p.m. During the following hour I saw at least 3 birds with one individual repeatedly flying around me for several minutes and 2 others seen perched and “churring”. There were probably at least 5 “churring” males in just the small area of the extensive Morden Bog NNR where I was located.















Photo: record shot of "churring" male Nightjar

Other birds were less conspicuous than during my early morning visit in May 2022 but nonetheless I did record some other notable species.

The highlights during my visit were as follows:

Birds (heard only records in italics): Nightjar (3 seen and several other “churring” males heard), Cuckoo (1), Tree Pipit (1), Stonechat (3 males and 3 females), Yellowhammer (2 singing males), Swift (c.10), Reed Bunting (1 singing male), Common Buzzard (1 calling bird), Mallard (1 female flew over)

Mammals: Fallow Deer (2)

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.