Wednesday 5 July 2023

Trip away from SS15 – Dorset

I booked a rental car from 1st to 4th July 2023 for a trip away from home to include visits to a number of sites in Dorset, primarily on the Isle of Purbeck but also the Isle of Portland and Martin Down NNR on the Dorset and Hampshire border.

The main purpose of my visit, other than adding Nightjar and Little Tern to my 2023 UK year list, was to see and photograph the 6 species of UK reptile, namely Adder, Grass Snake, Smooth Snake, Sand Lizard, Common Lizard and Slow Worm, plus the same for a range of butterfly species and dragonfly and damselfly species.

I was successful in seeing both Nightjar and Little Tern during my trip, taking my 2023 UK year list to 182 species.

Reptiles were an extremely disappointing and complete failure! Despite searching at several sites with large amounts of suitable habitat, I did not record a single sighting of any of the 6 reptile species!

I was far more successful with butterfly species and dragonfly and damselfly species.

I recorded 21 butterfly species, including 5 as new records for me as shown in bold below, and 5 dragonfly and damselfly species, including 1 as a new record for me as shown in bold below.

Lulworth Skipper

Grayling
Dark Green Fritillary
Small Blue
Silver-studded Blue
Clouded Yellow
Painted Lady
Marbled White
Large Skipper
Small Skipper
Small Heath
Red Admiral
Comma
Brimstone
Holly Blue
Speckled Wood
Ringlet
Gatekeeper 
Meadow Brown
Small White
Large White

Keeled Skimmer
Black-tailed Skimmer
Four-spotted Chaser
Common Darter
Emperor Dragonfly

In addition, I recorded 4 mammal speciesRed FoxFallow DeerRoe DeerRabbit

I visited the following sites in Dorset:

Martin Down NNR

Wareham Forest – Morden Bog NNR

Wareham Forest – Great Ovens NR

Purbeck Heaths NNR  Hartland Moor NNR 

Creech Heath

Portland Bill

Broadcroft Quarry, Isle of Portland

Chesil Beach at Ferrybridge

Durlston Country Park and NNR

Please see here for more details ....

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.