Date: 6th October 2026
Time: from 8:15 a.m.
Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 10°C to 12°C
My first visit to the site in October had a distinct autumnal feel to it.
I added another species to my site list for 2026: Meadow Pipit (a single bird heard flying over the central section of the cemetery and church but not seen). I first recorded this species in 2024 and again in 2025 but, to date, all have been “heard only” records of presumably autumn migrants.
Other notable records of birds during my visit included the following:
Goldcrest: 1 heard calling in the wooded area at the edge of the northern section of the site
Green Woodpecker: 1 heard calling from the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres
Great Spotted Woodpecker: 3 seen in the northern section of the site but some duplication of sightings possible
Jackdaw: 1 seen flying high over the access track from Larkins Tyres
This was the first visit for many months where I failed to at least hear calling Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps. It is likely that all birds have now left following the spring/summer breeding season.
With regard to mammals, I saw a single Red Fox basking in the sunshine and heard a repeatedly “barking” Reeves’ Muntjac, both in the northern section of the site.
I failed to see any butterflies, dragonflies or damselflies during my visit. The summer is over.
Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):
Site totals for 2026 to date (2025 and 2024 totals in brackets):
Love nature .... act now
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.