Saturday 26 February 2022

Visit to Gloucester Park – 26th February 2022

Date: 26th February 2022

Time: from 8:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 2°C to 8°C

The main purpose of my visit this morning was to hopefully see and photograph a Kingfisher rather than an extended walk around the site as I usually do.

I have seen Kingfishers on several occasions at Gloucester Park but by no means on a regular basis.

On my last visit on 21st January 2022, I saw a Kingfisher flying up and down the main lake and also perched in the lake-side bushes. The quality of my photos from that visit, as per below, left a little to be desired so “must try harder” was definitely the objective 😀




























Did I see a Kingfisher and photograph itThe short answer is “no” and “no” in respect of both!

I remained at a single location overlooking the area of the main lake where I had last seen a Kingfisher but my lengthy wait proved to be unsuccessful.

However, it did enable me to add my first Common Buzzard record for the site bringing the total number of bird species to 49.

In addition, I added Starling and Jay to my 2022 list for the site bringing the total to date to 31.

My first sighting of a Common Buzzard was of a single bird flying through in a north westerly direction. In fact, if I had remained at home and had been looking out of the window of my flat, I would probably have seen it pass over.

Later on during my unsuccessful Kingfisher vigil, I was alerted to some extremely noisy calling Herring Gulls and, looking up, it became apparent that they were mobbing another Common Buzzard. This bird was quickly joined by a second and the male and female, judging by the difference in size, engaged in some interactive display. Remarkably, whilst watching these 2 birds, yet another Common Buzzard came into view. After several minutes, all 3 birds eventually drifted off out of sight.

Here are some heavily cropped record photos of the Common Buzzards plus a few non-cropped photos of the interaction between the 2 birds ....








































Here are some other photos taken from my Kingfisher watchpoint .... 
















Photo: Moorhen
















Photo: Moorhens















Photo: Moorhens
















Photo: Cormorant
















Photo: Cormorant
















Photo: Black-headed Gull















Photo: Black-headed Gull
















Photo: Black-headed Gull















Photo: Black-headed Gull
















Photo: Black-headed Gull















Photo: Collared Dove
















Photo: Collared Dove















Photo: Collared Dove

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 49  (31)
Mammals = 2  (1)
Butterflies = 1  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (0)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.