Wednesday 9 February 2022

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 9th February 2022

Date: 9th February 2022

Time: from 8:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, bright/cloudy with occasional sunny spells, light wind, 8°C to 11°C

This was my third visit to the site in 2022 and by far the most interesting and with some notable sightings.

Although it didn’t feel especially like spring (but then it is still early February), there were some definite signs that spring is on the way. A few Snowdrops and Daffodils have started to emerge in St. Nicholas Church cemetery and there is much more bird song with Dunnocks, Blue Tits and Great Tits joining the Robins which began singing again in early December and the Song Thrushes which have been singing for about a month now. Green Woodpeckers were also much more conspicuous and vocal (see below).



















The most notable sighting during my visit was a single fly-over Mute Swan which was my first record for the site bringing the total number of bird species to 55. Whilst I was watching the Red Foxes (see below), I heard the distinctive rhythmic whistling sound that the wings of a Mute Swan make in flight although being surrounded by tress it was initially difficult to locate the bird. Eventually I had a brief glimpse above me and through the tree canopy as the bird flew over heading in a south westerly direction.

In addition, I added a further 2 species to my 2022 list for the site bringing the total to date to 22: Black-headed Gull (a single bird flying over) and Long-tailed Tit (a small foraging flock in the eastern section of the cemetery).

Other notable records included Goldcrest (1 heard calling and then seen in the wooded area adjoining the eastern section of the cemetery), Green Woodpecker (2 in the eastern section of the cemetery plus a single bird watched for some time and photographed in the large oak tree at the edge of the field in the north of the site) and Great Spotted Woodpecker (1 heard calling very briefly and distantly in the north of the site).

I regularly record Magpies and this species doesn’t usually warrant any comment but this morning there was the remarkable sight of an extremely noisy group of c.30 birds in the hedges and trees in the north of the site. The collective noun for this species is a “parliament” and this group of birds were much more enjoyable to watch than the incompetent, lying and corrupt Government located about 30 miles to the west as the Magpie flies.















Photo: Green Woodpecker
















Photo: Magpies















Photo: Magpies

During my visit, I had extended views of Red Foxes. When I arrived on site via the track from Larkins Tyres, I spent a few minutes at my usual watchpoint overlooking the rough grass field bordered by scrub, hedges and trees although it was very quiet so I moved on. I went back to the same location before returning home and immediately spotted a Red Fox basking in the sun just to the left of the large oak tree. After getting a few photos, it must have seen me and jumped up and bolted back in to the scrub. Having reviewed my photos, this Red Fox had one blue eye and one golden-brown eye which was rather curious. Red Fox cubs have blue eyes for the first few weeks but then they change to a golden-brown colour.

After about 30 minutes, another Red Fox emerged from the scrub and hedges at the far side of the field and started walking in the direction of the large oak tree before again disappearing back in to cover. From reviewing my photos, this was clearly a different animal since it seemed to be either blind in its left eye or had an infection. What I assume was the same Red Fox, judging by the dark black to the back of the ears, again appeared very briefly at far side of the field.

My last sighting arose from hearing movement in the wooded area immediately behind me and, as I turned round, I saw a Red Fox bolt off away from me. How long he had been watching me looking out for him in the other direction, I have no idea! …. he's behind you” …. clearly, the winter pantomime season is not quite over yet 😀.















Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Mute Swan
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull

Red Fox

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 55  (22)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 21  (0)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (0)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.