Saturday 10 June 2023

Trip away from SS15 - Essex, Norfolk and Wales

I had already had my usual annual trip to north and mid-Wales during May …. see here, here and here.


However, watching the BBC's Save our Wild Isles series on catch-up, in which Skomer Island was featured in episode 1, had me thinking that a return trip to Pembrokeshire in west Wales was long overdue.


Unfortunately, when I checked, trips to Skomer Island were fully booked for weeks ahead so I decided on a visit to RSPB Ramsey Island as an alternative, one of the islands off the west coast of Wales that I had never visited before.


I booked a rental car from 10th to 13th June 2023 for a trip away from home to include a day visit to a number of sites in Essex and Norfolk followed by a trip to Pembrokeshire to visit a number of sites there.


I had 4 main target species: Spoonbill, Turtle Dove, Stone Curlew, Manx Shearwater. I successfully recorded all 4 species during my trip, taking my 2023 UK year list to 179 species.


In addition, I recorded 3 mammal species (Atlantic Grey Seal, Rabbit and Grey Squirrel), 3 butterfly species (Common Blue, Meadow Brown and Speckled Wood) and 3 dragonfly and damselfly species (Blue-tailed Damselfly, Black-tailed Skimmer and Broad-bodied Chaser).


I visited the following sites in Essex and Norfolk:


EWT Abberton Reservoir, Essex


EWT Wrabness, Essex


NWT Weeting Heath, Norfolk


I then spent 4 days in Pembrokeshire, primarily within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, visiting the following sites:


Minwear Forest


Pembrokeshire Coast Path .... Manorbier


Pembrokeshire Coast Path …. Whitesands Beach and St David's Head


RSPB Ramsey Island


Pembrokeshire Coast Path …. Stack Rocks


SWWWT Pengelli Forest


SWWWT Teifi Marshes


Pembrokeshire Coast Path ….  Strumble Head


Pembrokeshire Coast Path ….  Barafundle Bay and Stackpole Head


Bosherston Lily Ponds


Please see here for more details ....


Part 1


Part 2


Part 3


Part 4


Part 5

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.