Sunday 17 September 2023

Record from my flat - Common Buzzard

I had a long overdue sighting of a Common Buzzard from my flat at 1:45 p.m. this afternoon with a single bird flying in from the south, circling a few times beyond the houses opposite and then flying off north.

This is my first record of a Common Buzzard from my flat since the last on 9th May 2023.

This follows a record at my St. Nicholas Church local patch site on 30th August 2023, the first there since 12th April 2023.

Between 12th March 2023 and 12th April 2023, I recorded Common Buzzards (either single birds or a presumed pair) on 6 visits to my St. Nicholas Church local patch site and it did appear that a pair was maybe settling down to breed. However, the absence of any records since 12th April 2023 definitely suggests that these birds moved on. I also had 5 sightings of Common Buzzards from my flat during March 2023.

It is therefore nice to see this raptor again in my local area although the number of sightings from my flat is very much reduced compared to 2022.

I have recorded Common Buzzard sightings from my flat since 2021. Sightings are, or at least were, increasing and last year I was almost convinced that there was a resident and possibly nesting pair in the area since I also frequently saw birds over my nearby local patch site around St. Nicholas Church.

This is the summary of my Common Buzzard sightings from my flat for the last 2 years ....

2021: 11 dates with those records involving 13 birds

2022: 26 dates with those records involving 38 birds

This is the summary of my Common Buzzard sightings from my flat for 2023 to date ....

February: 23rd (a single bird)

March: 11th (a single bird), 12th (a single bird), 18th March 2023 (a single bird), 19th March 2023 (a single bird), 30th March (a single bird)

September: 17th (a single bird)

2023 to date: 7 dates with those records involving 7 birds

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.