Wednesday 12 April 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 12th April 2023

Date: 12th April 2023

Time: from 7 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 6°C to 8°C

I had an excellent visit this morning: a year high of 24 bird species recorded, including 2 new site records (Willow Warbler and Firecrest), and 3 mammal species recorded.

I accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres. From the wooded clearing at the end of the track, I took the short walk through the trees to the fence, my regular watchpoint overlooking the field, scrub, hedges and trees in the north of the site. I spent some time here and walking around the northern section of the site. I did not visit the remainder of the site.

So, immediately to the 2 new site records (taking the total to 62 species) which were also additions to my 2023 UK list (taking the total to 126 species).

From my watchpoint, I briefly heard what I thought was a singing male Willow Warbler. This was confirmed when I started to walk around the northern section of the site. However, the bird only sang sporadically and despite hearing it many times during my visit, I frustratingly failed to locate it. It therefore remains a “heard only” record.

Whilst trying to locate the Willow Warbler, I walked down the path that eventually leads to the A127 road, something I very rarely do. Along here I heard a singing male Goldcrest and eventually saw it. A few minutes later, I briefly saw another small passerine which eventually revealed itself to be a stunning Firecrest with a “fire crest”, white eye stripe and a generally brighter overall appearance to a Goldcrest. This was my first UK record of this species since 2017.

Willow Warbler is not a totally unexpected spring migrant for the site, if only a visitor passing through, but Firecrest was a complete surprise.

This was the fifth consecutive visit where I have recorded Common Buzzard in the northern section of the site, this time a bird seen twice in flight.















Photo: Common Buzzard

Photo: Common Buzzard

However, during this visit, I also recorded another raptor when I spotted a very distant soaring Sparrowhawk.




























Photo: Sparrowhawk




























Photo: Sparrowhawk

Yet again in the northern section of the site, Greenfinches were very evident and I saw 2 individual males plus what appeared to be a pair. Having got my first photo ever of this species at the site during my last visit, I was successful again.















Photo: male Greenfinch

Photo: male Greenfinch

Photo: male Greenfinch

Both Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps were also very evident as I walked around the northern section of the site. I saw 3 singing male Chiffchaffs, heard at least 6 other singing males and saw 3 other non-singing/calling birds. I saw 2 singing male Blackcaps, heard at least 2 other singing males and saw a non-singing male and a female.
















Photo: male Chiffchaff
















Photo: male Chiffchaff

I also saw a pair of Mallards in their usual location on the edge of the pond and a single Green Woodpecker perched in a tree almost at the boundary of the northern section of the site.
















Photo: male and female Mallard
















Photo: Green Woodpecker

This visit was the first occasion for many months where I have recorded all 3 of the usual mammals: Red Fox, Reeves’ Muntjac and Grey Squirrel.

I saw 2 Red Foxes in the northern section of the site with one animal approaching me very closely, apparently oblivious to my presence.















Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox

I saw a single Reeves’ Muntjac in the wooded clearing at the end of the track from Larkins Tyres plus 2 Grey Squirrels in the northern section of the site and another again in the wooded clearing.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Willow Warbler
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Firecrest
Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Song Thrush
Blackbird
House Sparrow
Greenfinch
Common Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Green Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie 
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Mallard
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Reeve’s Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Here are some other photos from my visit:




























Photo: Robin




























Photo: Robin




























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Great Tit



























Photo: Blue Tit




























Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):


Birds = 37  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 0  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 62
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.