Wednesday 20 March 2024

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 20th March 2024

Date: 20th March 2024

Time: from 8:55 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, 11°C to 12°C

Compared with my visit to the site on 4th March 2024, I had a less productive visit and only managed to record 13 species.

However, this included 2 notable first records of the year for the site: Chiffchaff and Blackcap

Having already heard singing male Chiffchaffs at my other local patch site around St. Nicholas Church this month and both heard and seen several birds at other sites, I was fairly optimistic at recording my first of the year on the reserve.

Sure enough, I heard and then saw a singing male Chiffchaff in the trees opposite the storage shed followed by the sighting of another singing male in the bushes around Meadow Pond. I also heard another singing male in the trees around Puckles Pond.

Last year, my first record of Chiffchaff was on 5th April 2023 and in 2022 my first record was on 12th March 2022.

My last visit to the site was on 4th March 2024 and I had my first Chiffchaff record around St, Nicholas Church on 5th March 2024 so this morning’s Chiffchaffs may well have arrived any time after that.

My first Blackcap record of the year was less expected. I briefly heard what I thought was a singing male Blackcap again in the trees and bushes opposite the storage shed. I quickly confirmed my identification when I saw the bird foraging for food.

Last year, my first record of Blackcap was on 8th April 2023 and in 2022 my first record was on 26th March 2022.

Both summering Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps have returned to the site and their numbers will continue to increase over the coming weeks and the sound of singing males will be easy to hear.

The only other notable record from my visit was Moorhen with again a presumed pair on Meadow Pond and another unseen calling bird on Willow Pond.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap

Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Jay
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Moorhen

Site totals for 2024 to date (2023 totals in brackets):

Birds = 22 (36)

Mammals = 1 (2)
Butterflies = 0 (15)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0 (11)
Reptiles = 0 (1)
Amphibians = 0 (2)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 48

Mammals = 3
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 14
Reptiles = 2
Amphibians = 3

Love nature .... act now
Restore and rewild our natural world
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.