Thursday 14 March 2024

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 14th March 2024

Date: 14th March 2024

Time: from 8:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, bright, light wind, 10°C to 12°C

This morning, I had a full walk around the site including the northern section of the site, the cemetery and the wooded area in the south of the site on my way home.

I started my walk with a lot of hope but far less expectation of hearing and seeing my first Chiffchaff of the year at the site. However, I was rewarded when I eventually heard a male Chiffchaff briefly singing twice in the wooded area at the eastern end of the cemetery. Unfortunately, it was rather distant so I was unable to locate it and actually see it.

Last year, my first record of Chiffchaff was on 20th March 2023 and in 2022, apart from an obvious over-wintering individual on 17th January 2022, my first record was on 14th March 2022.

My last visit to the site was on 8th March 2024 so this morning’s Chiffchaff may have arrived any time after that.

To me, the sound of this tiny Phylloscopus leaf warbler always marks the start of spring, as much as the other arriving spring and summer migrants are a joy to welcome back.

Hopefully, in the coming weeks, I will get to see and photograph the local Chiffchaffs.

In addition to Chiffchaff, I was also able to record a further species to add to my 2024 bird site listJackdaw (a single calling bird flying over the north of the site)

Whilst the singing male Chiffchaff marked the return of spring, the local Redwings clearly hadn’t received the memo! I saw 6 birds flying together in a small flock in the northern section of the site.

The other highlights during my visit were Mallard (2 birds flying over the northern section of the site which evidently did not to choose to land on one of the ponds), Great Spotted Woodpecker (a single excitedly calling bird seen in the wooded area at the eastern end of the cemetery), Green Woodpecker (a single calling bird again heard in the wooded area at the eastern end of the cemetery) and Greenfinch (a calling but unseen bird in the horse paddock in the northern section of the site).

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Redwing
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Greenfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jackdaw
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Mallard
Herring Gull

Site totals for 2024 to date (2023 totals in brackets):

Birds = 24 (47)

Mammals = 3 (3)
Butterflies = 0 (23)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0 (12)
Reptiles = 0 (0)
Amphibians = 0 (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 65

Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 25
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

Love nature .... act now
Restore and rewild our natural world
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.