Monday 1 April 2024

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 1st April 2024

Date: 1st April 2024 

Time: from 8 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny/cloudy, light wind, 8°C to 11°C

I had another very productive spring visit this morning with a full walk around the site including the northern section, the cemetery and the wooded area in the south of the site on my way home.

During my visit, I recorded 20 bird species, slightly less than on my last visit on 27th March 2024. However, this did include another species added to my 2024 bird site list, namely Jay (I have no idea why it has taken so long to record my first sighting of the year!).

I also recorded my second butterfly species of the year, namely Peacock.

Other than the 2 Jays that I saw, the highlights from my visit were as follows:

Following my first records of the year on 15th March 2024 and 27th March 2024 respectively, both Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps are now well established across the site. I saw 2 singing male Chiffchaffs, saw 2 other non-singing birds and heard 5 other singing males plus I saw 2 singing male Blackcaps and heard 4 other singing males. However, this is probably an under-estimate of the numbers of both species now present.

For the second successive visit, I recorded both Common Buzzard and Sparrowhawk, singles of both species seen from the southern section of the site whilst trying to photograph a Chiffchaff and a Blackcap.

My visit included one of my best encounters with woodpecker species at the site. I saw at least 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers in the wooded area at the eastern end of the cemetery and there was a lot of excitable calling and some “drumming”. I then saw what I assume were 2 other Great Spotted Woodpeckers in the immediate vicinity of the church with one of the birds landing on the wooden spire to “drum”. I initially heard a Green Woodpecker calling in the northern section of the site and eventually had a distant view of a bird as it flew in and landed on a tree. I also heard another calling Green Woodpecker in the cemetery. 

Finally, a single calling but unseen Greenfinch in the horse paddock was notable.

Whilst I was unable to get close to the 8 Peacocks that I saw at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve on 30th March 2024, a sighting of a single Peacock in the southern section of the site was a welcome addition to my 2024 butterfly site list.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff

Blackcap
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Greenfinch
Common Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull 

Peacock

Here are some photos from my visit ….















Photo: male Blackcap

Photo: male Blackcap
















Photo: male Chiffchaff
















Photo: male Chiffchaff
















Photo: Blue Tit
















Photo: Blue Tit
















Photo: male Dunnock
















Photo: male Dunnock















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Great Spotted Woodpecker
















Photo: Green Woodpecker
















Photo: Sparrowhawk
















Photo: Sparrowhawk
















Photo: Peacock
















Photo: Peacock
























Site totals for 2024 to date (2023 totals in brackets):

Birds = 33 (47)

Mammals = 3 (3)
Butterflies = 2 (23)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0 (12)
Reptiles = 0 (0)
Amphibians = 0 (0)

Total species list for the site

Birds = 65

Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 25
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

Love nature .... act now
Restore and rewild our natural world
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.