Monday 12 October 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 13th October 2020

Date: 13th October 2020

Time: from 9:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, 7°C to 11°C

This morning, I had my first visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve since 13th September 2020.

It is very autumnal now, not just the grey sky and relatively cold temperatures but also the general transition from greens to browns in the landscape and the plentiful fallen leaves.

There are now only a few scattered flowers and the number of hips, haws and sloes is much reduced. Hopefully some of these berries and the accumulation of windfall apples opposite the storage shed will remain and attract the first arrivals of wintering Redwings and Fieldfares in the coming weeks.

The summer migrant birds (Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs) appear to have disappeared as have the butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies.

On the positive side, all the ponds now have some water in them after the heavy rain recently although the water levels are by no means as high as when I first started visiting the reserve in March 2020.

I saw and heard very few birds during my visit and the list of species recorded is very short. However, I still managed to record 2 new species taking my species list of birds to 38.

Firstly, walking back from Willow Pond towards the main track, I heard the distinctive call of a Pied Wagtail flying overhead although unfortunately I failed to see it. This is quite a common bird which I frequently see foraging in the car park at Asda, a short flight away for a Pied Wagtail!

Secondly, in the woodland between Lupin Glade and Puckles Pond, I heard and then saw a Goldcrest. I heard 3 or 4 in this general area although it was difficult to determine the exact number as they were quickly moving through foraging in the trees. The Goldcrest is a resident species but large numbers arrive in autumn from Europe to winter in the UK. I have also seen them recently at my other local patch site around St. Nicholas Church.














Photo: Goldcrest near St. Nicholas Church, Laindon

With regard to other birds, Robins, singing and calling, were fairly conspicuous throughout the reserve (at least 20 with several seen). The Robin is usually the first species to resume singing after breeding and moulting and, unusually amongst songbirds, both males and females sing during autumn and winter to defend feeding territories. In addition, like Goldcrests, the resident population is augmented by immigrants from Europe.

Small foraging groups of Blue Tits and Great Tits were also relatively easy to see.

Finally, I saw 4 Grey Squirrels (the highest number on any single visit): 3 separate individuals in the wooded areas adjacent to the main track between the “Spanish Steps” and the storage shed and another in the wooded area surrounding Puckles Pond.

Unfortunately, I was unable to take any acceptable photos during this visit.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Wren
Blackbird
Pied Wagtail
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow

Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date:

Birds = 38
Mammals = 2
Butterflies= 18
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.