Monday 21 August 2023

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 21st August 2023

Date: 21st August 2023

Time: from 11:50 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 16°C to 21°C

This was my first visit to the site since 7th July 2023.

As I have already noted in respect of my St. Nicholas Church local patch site, I have neglected both my local patch sites over the last 2 months or so and only visited on a few occasions due to a number of factors, especially the untypically poor summer weather (poor light, rain and strong winds are not conducive to watching and photographing butterfliesdragonflies and damselflies!) but also other commitments including a trip to Dorset (see here), attending the 3-day Global BirdFair plus some birding in Lincolnshire (see here) and of course the Women's World Cup.

At this time of year, butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies are the main focus of my local patch visits.

I had an excellent late morning visit which provided a new damselfly record for me anywhere (Willow Emerald Damselfly), a new site record for me (Brown Argus) and 3 new site records for 2023 (Small CopperEmperor Dragonfly and Common Darter).

I also saw and photographed what I believe is a White Ermine moth caterpillar.

During my visit, I recorded the following ….

ButterfliesSmall Copper (1), Brown Argus (1), Holly Blue (at least 10), Peacock (2), Speckled Wood (7), Gatekeeper (4), Large White (at least 2), Small White (at least 2), unidentified “white” species (Large White and/or Small White) (at least 10)

DragonfliesEmperor Dragonfly (1), Ruddy Darter (at least 2 males), Common Darter (at least 2 males), unidentified hawker species (possibly Migrant Hawker) (c.5)

DamselfliesWillow Emerald Damselfly (at least 2)

All the butterflies were recorded across the site but especially in the meadow between the path and Thorny Wood and in the East Meadow and around Meadow Pond.

I saw my first Willow Emerald Damselfly perched in one of the trees adjacent to the path near Willow Pond and I also saw my first Ruddy Darter in this area too. My other dragonfly and damselfly sightings were at Meadow Pond.
















Photo: Small Copper















Photo: Small Copper

Photo: Small Copper

Photo: Small Copper
















Photo: Brown Argus















Photo: Peacock

Photo: Speckled Wood

Photo: Speckled Wood















Photo: Willow Emerald Damselfly

Photo: Willow Emerald Damselfly
















Photo: male Ruddy Darter















Photo: male Ruddy Darter

Photo: male Ruddy Darter

Photo: male Ruddy Darter
















Photo: male Ruddy Darter















Photo: male Common Darter

Photo: male Common Darter















Photo: male Common Darter

Photo: White Ermine moth caterpillar

When I arrived at Meadow Pond, it was quite evident that the pond vegetation had grown even more significantly. Again, it was difficult to actually see any water so there was no prospect at all of locating the Grass Snake that I had successfully watched and photographed earlier in the spring. I did see one small bird moving through the reeds which I think was almost certainly a Chiffchaff.

I slowly walked round the boardwalk several times but, despite the warm and sunny weather, I again failed to see any Common Lizards which can show well on the southern section bordering East Meadow. I have still had no sightings of this reptile this year.

Bird activity was again almost non-existent and I only recorded 7 species! However, this did include 2 contact calling but unseen Chiffchaffs (in addition to the probable seen at Meadow Pond) and 3 Mallards on Willow Pond (2 males in eclipse plumage and a female).

Photo: male Mallards

Photo: male Mallards

During my visit, I also saw a single Grey Squirrel.

Although it is still officially summer, there is ample evidence already of autumn with emerging blackberries, hips, haws, sloes and elderberries.
























Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Woodpigeon
Mallard
Herring Gull

Small Copper
Brown Argus
Holly Blue
Peacock
Speckled Wood
Gatekeeper
Large White
Small White

Willow Emerald Damselfly
Emperor Dragonfly
Ruddy Darter
Common Darter

Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):


Birds = 34  (30)
Mammals = 2 (2)
Butterflies = 14  (15)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11  (5)
Reptiles = 1  (2)
Amphibians = 2  (2)

Total species list for the site:


Birds = 47
Mammals = 3
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 14
Reptiles = 2
Amphibians = 3

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.