Monday 6 November 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 6th November 2023

Date: 6th November 2023

Time: from 9:10 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, moderate wind, 9°C to 11°C

My visit this morning was not especially productive in terms of the number of the abundance of birds and I spent much of my time taking landscape photos on a sunny autumn morning.

However, I did have some notable sightings.

I saw a single calling Ring-necked Parakeet flying over the church and cemetery. This is only my 4th record for the site after the first on 25th June 2020 involving 2 birds and 2 other records of single birds this year on 18th January 2023 and 30th September 2023.

After my first sighting of a Grey Wagtail for the site on my last visit on 17th October 2023, I saw another this morning in exactly the same location, namely flying high over the small pond in the northern section of the site.

I also saw a single Redwing flying over the northern section of the site and another 2 birds flying over the wooded area in the south of the site as I walked home. These are my first records of the autumn/winter.

Finally, I again saw a Sparrowhawk flying through the northern section of the site.

With regard to mammals, I saw a single Grey Squirrel in the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres and a further 2 animals in the wooded area in the south of the site as I walked home.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Redwing
Blackbird
Dunnock
Grey Wagtail
Sparrowhawk
Ring-necked Parakeet
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Black-headed Gull

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit ....




























Photo: Sparrowhawk











































Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 45  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 23  (17)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 65
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 25
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature
#RestoreNatureNow
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.