Wednesday 18 January 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 18th January 2023

Date: 18th January 2023

Time: from 8:50 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, -2°C to 1°C

It was a beautiful sunny but very cold and frosty morning for my third visit of the year to the site.

I again had a very successful visit with 3 additions to my 2023 site list. These, together with the chance sighting of a Grey Heron on my return from a day out on 17th January 2023, takes the total number of species to date to 30.

The most remarkable and unexpected addition to my 2023 site list was Ring-necked Parakeet. I saw a single bird flying over the north of the site and it took a few moments to work out what it was since it was not giving the usual loud, squawking calls. I have only ever recorded this species on one other occasion on 25th June 2020 when I saw 2 birds.

The other 2 additions to my 2023 site list were a single male Goldcrest in the wooded area at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres (I heard it calling initially and then eventually saw it as it sang briefly) plus a small group of Starlings flying over the scrub area behind Larkins Tyres.

Other notable sightings during my visit included a single Sparrowhawk flying over the church in a south-westerly direction, c.10 Redwings at various locations around the site and 2 individual Great Spotted Woodpeckers, the first at the top of one of the tall trees in the south west corner of the site and the second in the wooded area adjacent to the access track from Larkins Tyres.

With regard to mammals, I saw a Red Fox at the end of the access track from Larkins Tyres as I was about to start my walk. I again saw what was probably the same animal on several occasions from my usual watchpoint overlooking the field, scrub and hedges in the north of the site. I saw another Red Fox briefly as it crossed the grassy strip leading down from the church car park to St. Nicholas Lane.

I also saw a Reeves’ Muntjac as it crossed the road on Church Hill and 2 Grey Squirrels around the large oak tree bordering the field in the north of the site.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Redwing
Blackbird
Dunnock
Wren
Starling
Ring-necked Parakeet
Sparrowhawk
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie 
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon 
Collared Dove
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Reeves’ Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Grey Squirrel















Photo: Grey Squirrel

Photo: Grey Squirrel
















Photo: Goldcrest

Photo: Goldcrest















Photo: Goldcrest

Photo: Great Spotted Woodpecker
















Photo: Great Spotted Woodpecker















Photo: record shot of Sparrowhawk















Photo: Great Tit

Photo: Collared Dove

Photo: Collared Dove
































Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 30  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 0  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 60
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.