Sunday 31 December 2023

2023 year end summary

So, another year draws to a close.

My 2023 UK year list for birds closed on 205 species, 1 more species than 2022.

This was my highest total since 2019 before the Covid-19 pandemic restricted so much travel but well off the all time high of 234 species that I recorded in both 2017 and 2010 when I was still travelling to the Scottish Highlands each year.

In SS15, I had a very successful and productive 2023 at both my local patch sites: St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas and Noak Bridge Nature Reserve.

Total number of species recorded in 2023 across both local patch sites:

Birds = 52
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 24
Dragonflies and damselflies = 14
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 2

I was able to add 10 new species and 6 new species respectively to my all time site totals for my local patch sites.

It proved to be a particularly good summer at both my local patch sites for butterflies and dragonflies and damselflies.

St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas

Total species recorded - all time:

Birds = 65
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 25
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

Total species recorded - 2023 (+/- on 2022 in brackets):

Birds = 47 (+ 2)
Mammals = 3 (- 2)
Butterflies = 23 (+ 6)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 12 (+ 5)
Reptiles = 0 (0)
Amphibians = 0 (0)

I recorded 10 new species for the site during 2023:

Birds: Jack Snipe, Grey Wagtail, Mistle Thrush, Willow Warbler (heard singing but not seen), Firecrest

Butterflies: Brown Argus, Small Skipper
Dragonflies and damselflies: Black-tailed Skimmer, Emerald Damselfly, Willow Emerald Damselfly

Noak Bridge Nature Reserve

Total species recorded - all time:

Birds = 47
Mammals = 3
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 14
Reptiles = 2
Amphibians = 3

Total species recorded - 2023 (+/- on 2022 in brackets):

Birds = 36 (+ 6)
Mammals = 2 (0)
Butterflies = 15 (0)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11 (+ 6)
Reptiles = 1 (- 1)
Amphibians = 2 (0)

I recorded 6 new species for the site during 2023:

Birds: Stock Dove, Grey Wagtail, Fieldfare
Mammals: Common Shrew (dead animal)
Butterflies: Brown Argus
Dragonflies and damselflies: Willow Emerald Damselfly


#DefendNature
#RestoreNatureNow
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.