Friday 8 December 2023

Trip away from SS15 - Great Notley Country Park, Braintree, Essex

This morning I visited Great Notley Country Park just outside Braintree in north Essex.

Ordinarily, there would be no reason for me to visit this site but a juvenile Great Northern Diver that had been recorded on the main lake almost daily for around 3 weeks was a particular focus for my visit.

The only breeding location for Great Northern Diver in Europe is Iceland although the species has a large Nearctic breeding population that stretches from the Aleutians across Canada and on to Greenland. I managed to see several Great Northern Divers in their stunning summer plumage during my trip to Iceland in June 2015. Unfortunately, my only photo was a distant record shot at Lake Mývatn in the north east of the country ....














Photo: Great Northern Diver at Lake Mývatn, Iceland

In the UK, the Great Northern Diver is a winter visitor in small numbers typically arriving during October and November although some non-breeding birds remain off the northern coasts of Scotland during the summer months. During the winter months, it is usually found offshore around UK coasts but can sometimes be seen inland on reservoirs, lakes and gravel pits.

The Great Northern Diver is a species that I normally manage to record somewhere during the winter in the UK and I had already added it to my UK 2023 year list earlier in the year. However, the bird at Great Notley Country Park provided exceptionally close views and photography opportunities.

When I arrived at Great Notley Country Park, it took some time for me to locate the lake and then I thought that my visit would be in vain since repeated scanning failed to provide a sighting of the Great Northern Diver.

However, I eventually located the bird and it proved to be surprisingly mobile swimming up and down the lake. It eventually caught a very large fish and, after several efforts, it managed to swallow it. After that, it seemed content to just float around as it digested its meal.















Photo: Great Notley Country Park main lake (the Great Northern Diver is a minute speck in this photo just in front of the far reedbed!)

I did photograph a Great Northern Diver at RSPB Dungeness on 25th November 2023 but the bird at Great Notley Country Park provided even better opportunities and over a period of around 2 hours I managed to get some much better photos ....















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver















Photo: Great Northern Diver

During a visit to RSPB Wallasea Island on 25th November 2023, I met one of the wildlife photographers that I follow on YouTube: Steve Hedges and Steve Hedges Photography - YouTube.

This morning, I met another: Neil Phillips and UK wildlife - YouTube. Neil posted a video on his visit to photograph the Great Northern Diver ....

In addition to the Great Northern Diver, I photographed a Grey Heron ....
















Photo: Grey Heron

Other notable sightings during my visit included the following: Mallard (c.20), Mute Swan (3), Coot (4), Moorhen (2), Fieldfare (c.15), Goldcrest (1), Sparrowhawk (1), Grey Squirrel (4)

#DefendNature

#RestoreNatureNow

Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife


💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚

Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.