Friday 29 December 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 29th December 2023

Date: 29th December 2023

Time: from 11:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, 10°C to 11°C

I had a short walk around the site this morning, more an exercise trip rather than a wildlife watching and photography trip.

However, whilst generally quiet in very grey and cloudy conditions, it turned out to be unexpectedly rewarding.

In the northern section of the site, I heard a calling Redwing but initially located a Fieldfare, this being my first record of 2023 for the site on the penultimate day of the year. This record brought my total for 2023 to 47 species, 2 more than 2022. In the same area, I did eventually see 2 Redwings.

I additionally saw a Green Woodpecker in the northern section of the site, a Great Spotted Woodpecker on returning to the wooded area at the end of the Larkins Tyres track and a Goldcrest in the wooded area in the southern section of the site when walking home.

Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):


Birds = 47  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 23  (17)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 65
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 25
Dragonflies and damselflies = 11
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature
#RestoreNatureNow
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚

Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.