Tuesday 9 January 2024

Trip away from SS15 – Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk – January 2024

I booked a rental car from 6th to 10th January 2024 for a trip away from home to include visits to a number of sites in Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

This enabled me to add to the 67 species recorded on my 2024 UK year list on my earlier trip in early January 2024 (see here).

The trip was successful in increasing my 2024 UK year list to 108 species.

The undoubted highlight was right at the end of my trip when I had my first ever record of a Northern Waterthrush at Heybridge near Maldon in Essex. This amazing bird, the 8th only to be ever recorded in the UK, advanced my UK life list to 355 species and my Essex life list to 237 species. For more information, please see here.

Saturday 6th January 2024

After picking up my rental car and driving home, I then drove to EWT Abberton Reservoir.

The huge expanse of EWT Abberton Reservoir just south of Colchester in Essex is one of Europe's top wetland sites. It is of international importance as a safe haven for wild ducks, swans and other water birds, whether resident, passing through on migration or over-wintering. 

My main target species at EWT Abberton Reservoir were the Canvasback plus Smew, Velvet Scoter and Scaup, all of which were being reported regularly during December 2023. Disappointingly, I failed to see any of these species although I did see the 2 Velvet Scoters when I tried for a second time a few days later on my way home.

EWT Abberton Reservoir proved to relatively disappointing all round with much fewer ducks than I normally see during the winter months. However, I did have some notable sightings,

The highlights from my visit included the following: Goosander (5 males and 3 females), Goldeneye (c.20), Shoveler (+++), Wigeon (++), Tufted Duck (+), Teal (+), Common Pochard (c.10), Mallard (c.10), Gadwall (2), Great Crested Grebe (c.50), Mute Swan (c.40), Cormorant (c.5), Greylag Goose (c.50), Egyptian Goose (c.40), Canada Goose (4), Common Redshank (3), Grey Heron (2), Common Gull, Herring Gull, Black-headed Gull, Peregrine (a very distant telescope view of an individual on the pumping station), Kestrel (1 near Billets Farm)

Additions to 2024 UK year list: Peregrine, Goosander, Great Crested Grebe, Canada Goose

After what was a relatively short visit to EWT Abberton Reservoir, I drove the short distance to a location in central Colchester where a flock of wintering Waxwings was being reported regularly.

I easily found the flock of c.20 Waxwings, a further addition to my 2024 UK year list, and joined a small group of birders and photographers to enjoy these very approachable birds. Initially, they were perched in the tops of the trees but on several occasions they flew down to berry bushes just a few feet from their admirers.

I left with over 300 photos which I managed to narrow down to a much smaller "best of" selection ….





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing




























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwings





























Photo: Waxwing

After spending over an hour with the Waxwings, I drove up to Aldeburgh in Suffolk and nearby RSPB North Warren.

RSPB North Warren is located on the Suffolk coast and is a patchwork of grazing marshes, reedbeds, heathland and woodland. During the winter months, the grazing marshes hold large numbers of ducks, swans and geese.

I spent a short time scanning the northern end of the grazing marshes specifically for European White-fronted Geese and Barnacle GeeseI successfully recorded both with c.20 of the former and c.200 of the latter. In addition, I recorded the following: Wigeon (c.50), Teal (c.30), Pintail (2), Lapwing (c.100), Greylag Goose (c.100), Mute Swan (1)

Additions to 2024 UK year list: European White-fronted Geese, Barnacle Geese, Pintail

Before moving on up to north east Norfolk, I visited Ness Point in Lowestoft in Suffolk. Being largely a coastal industrial area, it has nothing to recommend it scenically although it is significant in being the most easterly point in the UK. It is also well known amongst birders as being a very reliable site (usually) for Purple Sandpipers in winter. This species is a relatively scarce winter visitor to the UK from their Arctic breeding grounds. However, I failed to see Purple Sandpiper at this location on my last 3 winter visits in 2023 and 2022 and this proved to be the case yet again. I also failed to see the Black Redstart that had been reported on several days in December and immediately prior to my visit.

After checking in for my overnight stay at Travelodge Acle, I drove out to Woodbastwick for an evening meal at the excellent "The Fur & Feather". When I arrived, I heard a calling Tawny Owl from the car park, not a first for my 2024 UK year list given the bird that I saw at Sculthorpe Moor near Fakenham on New Years Day but nonetheless very enjoyable to hear.

Sunday 7th January 2024

After my overnight stay at Travelodge Acle, I drove the short distance to Filby Broad.

Filby Broad is one of 5 broads in the Trinity Broads network and Site of Special Scientific Interest in Norfolk. It lies within the Broads National Park adjacent to the village of Filby.

Filby Broad is connected to Ormesby Broad and Rollesby Broad via a narrow inlet under a road bridge and via the River Bure and the main broads network by a now unnavigable cutting with a lock gate. This cuts the broad off from the main Broadland area and that means there is no water traffic for a majority of the time. As with the other Norfolk Broads, Filby Broad is a former peat working and is now only about 6 to 8 feet at its deepest. It is approximately 0.5 miles long and surrounded on all sides by reedbeds and trees. There is no public access but there is a public boardwalk constructed at the north west side.

My main target species at Filby Broad was Ferruginous Duck which had been reported regularly for several months with 2 to 3 birds being seen.

I spent some time at Filby Broad repeatedly scanning with my telescope without success but, after some fisherman in small boats, had disturbed the flocks of other wildfowl, I eventually located 2 male Ferruginous Ducks amongst the Tufted Ducks. Apart from obviously being a further addition to my 2024 UK year list, this was only my 3rd UK record and the first since 2005.

The highlights from my visit included the following: Ferruginous Duck (2 males), Goldeneye (c.20), Tufted Duck (c.50), Common Pochard (c.50), Gadwall (c.30), Mallard (c.10), Water Rail (1 heard calling), Coot (c.200), Moorhen (1), Great Crested Grebe (5), Mute Swan (11), Greylag Goose (20), Egyptian Goose (3), Grey Heron (1), Cormorant (8), Common Gull, Black-headed Gull

Additions to 2024 UK year list: Ferruginous Duck, Water Rail

After my successful visit to Filby Broad, I drove up to the north Norfolk coast and specifically to Holkham National Nature Reserve which I had only briefly visited on New Years Day given the huge number of visitors.

En-route, I saw my first Red Kite of the year (1 between Norwich and Dereham and 2 between Fakenham and Holkham) and my first Red-legged Partridge of the year (5 also between Fakenham and Holkham).

Holkham National Nature Reserve is England's largest National Nature Reserve and it is situated on the Norfolk coast between Burnham Overy Staithe and Blakeney. It is managed by Natural England with the co-operation of the Holkham Estate. 

Holkham National Nature Reserve comprises 3900 hectares of a wide range of habitats including grazing marsh, pine woodland, scrub, salt marshsand dunes and foreshore.

The reserve is part of the North Norfolk Coast Site of Special Scientific Interest and the larger area is additionally protected through Natura 2000Special Protection Area and Ramsar listings and it is part of both an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a World Biosphere Reserve.

Holkham National Nature Reserve is a huge area and I accessed the site via Lady Anne’s Drive (opposite the entrance to Holkham Hall) and the Holkham Beach car park.

Apart from the freshmarsh either side of Lady Anne’s Drive, as on my last visit, I also visited Holkham beach and bay this time with the regular wintering Shorelarks and diversgrebes and sea ducks being my target species.

Highlights from my visit included the following: 

Lady Anne’s Drive: Pink-footed Goose (c.10), Dark-bellied Brent Goose (c.100), Greylag Goose (c.20), Egyptian Goose (4), Little Grebe (1), Wigeon (++++), Teal (+), Shoveler (+), Mallard (2), Great White Egret (1), Lapwing (++), Curlew (1), Red Kite (1), Reeves’ Muntjac (1)

Holkham Bay (saltmarsh): Shorelark (14), Rock Pipit (2), Meadow Pipit (2), Little Egret (1), Shelduck (4)

Holkham bay (sea): Common Scoter (+++++), Cormorant (c.20). Shelduck (2)

Additions to 2024 UK year list: Little Grebe, Shorelark, Rock Pipit, Meadow Pipit, Little Egret, Common Scoter

Disappointingly, I failed to see Grey Partridge and Marsh Harrier from Lady Anne’s Drive, Snow Bunting in the Holkham Bay saltmarsh area and I saw no waders on the Holkham Bay foreshore and no species of seaduck other than the massive flock of Common Scoter.

Birds are very distant at Holkham beach and bay requiring telescope views and I did not get any photos other than some heavily cropped record shots of the Shorelarks.















Photo: Shorelarks















Photo: Shorelark















Photo: Shorelark















Photo: Shorelark















Photo: Shorelarks

My day concluded at NWT Hickling Broad and Marshes and specifically the Stubb Mill viewpoint.

NWT Hickling Broad and Marshes is the largest of the Norfolk Broads and is a year-round haven for wildlife and holds a significant percentage of the UK population of Common Crane as well as important breeding numbers of BitternMarsh Harrier and Bearded Tit. In winter, large numbers of Marsh Harriers roost in the reedbed north east of Stubb Mill and Hen HarrierMerlin and Barn Owl can also often be seen. Interesting mammals include the introduced Chinese Water Deer plus Red Deer and Otter.

I spent around 2 hours at the Stubb Mill viewpoint and stayed until it was almost completely dark (a torch is recommended for the long walk back to the car park!).

The highlights from my visit walking to and from the Stubb Mill viewpoint included the following: Common Crane (3 obvious pairs with several birds calling and 1 pair dancing/displaying), Merlin (1), Sparrowhawk (1), Kestrel (1), Marsh Harrier (c.10), Pink-footed Goose (+++++), Greylag Goose (c.30), Cormorant (1), Mute Swan (c.30), Mallard (c.20), Teal (c.10), Gadwall (c.10), Shoveler (4), Shelduck (16), Great White Egret (1), Grey Heron (1), Common Snipe (1), Lapwing (1), Fieldfare (3), Stock Dove (1), Red Deer (2), Chinese Water Deer (1), Reeves’ Muntjac (2) 

Additions to 2024 UK year list: Common Crane, Merlin, Sparrowhawk, Gadwall, Common Snipe, Stock Dove

Whilst I failed to see any Hen Harriers as on my last visit and the number of Marsh Harriers coming in to roost was a lot lower than I normally see, the sight of an interacting Merlin and Sparrowhawk and excellent views of 6 pairs of Common Cranes more than made up for this.

After my visit to NWT Hickling Broad and Marshes, I returned to Travelodge Acle for my second overnight stay.

Monday 8th January 2024

After my overnight stay at Travelodge Acle, I drove the short distance to Rollesby Broad.

Rollesby Broad is another of the 5 broads in the Trinity Broads network and Site of Special Scientific Interest in Norfolk. It lies within the Broads National Park adjacent to the village of Rollesby.

My main target species at Rollesby Broad was Smew which had been reported regularly for several weeks with 1 or 2 female redheads being seen. Unfortunately, I failed to see these birds from 2 different viewing locations.

The highlights from my visit included the following: Great White Egret (1), Little Egret (1), Grey Heron (1), Goldeneye (1 male), Tufted Duck (12), Mallard (2), Great Crested Grebe (3), Coot (c.50), Moorhen (3), Mute Swan (1), Cormorant (7)

After my visit to Rollesby Broad, I drove across to north west Norfolk, beginning at Flitcham Abbey Farm which lies between Fakenham and Kings Lynn.

In previous years that I have visited Flitcham Abbey Farm and the neighbouring fields and hedgerows, it has been a very good site for flocks of wintering finches, buntings and sparrows plus Little Owl. However, this visit proved to be disappointing and I only saw a small flock of c.20 Chaffinches. In addition, I saw 10 Red-legged Partridges, 2 Mallards and a Grey Heron.

Around the Flitcham and Anmer area, there is a network of minor roads which in previous years I have found successful for locating Grey Partridges in the fields, although not in 2023. However, I was again unsuccessful with this species although I did see 4 Brown Hares, c.30 Lapwings, c.20 Redwings, c.10 Fieldfares, 1 Mistle Thrush (an addition to my 2024 UK year list), 1 Red Kite, 3 Common Buzzards and distant flock of flying Pink-footed Geese as I travelled around this area. One particular location held a mixed flock of c.100 finches including Linnets, Goldfinches, Chaffinches and Greenfinches plus c.20 Blackbirds and c.10 Redwings.





























Photo: Brown Hares





























Photo: Brown Hare





























Photo: Brown Hare





























Photo: Brown Hare




























Photo: Redwing

I saw 3 more Red Kites whilst driving up to Hunstanton, 1 at Ringstead and 2 at Old Hunstanton.

A quick visit to the clifftop at Hunstanton provided a sighting of 2 Fulmars at this reliable site for this species, another addition to my 2024 UK year list.

My day concluded at RSPB Titchwell but prior to this I drove up the minor road to Choseley Barns and this provided sightings of 1 Kestrel, 1 Marsh Harrier, c.50 Linnets, 12 Red-legged Partridges and 4 Brown Hares.

RSPB Titchwell is one of my most visited locations on the north Norfolk coast and it is a very productive site at any time of the year due to the mosaic of habitats including reedbeds, freshwater and saline lagoons, saltmarsh, sandy and shingle foreshore, sand dunes, woodland and grassland. It is an excellent site for breeding birds, passage migrants and winter visitors.

However, my visit on this occasion was yet again relatively disappointing due to the high water level on the freshmarsh which made it look like a lake rather the usual area of shallow water with muddy fringes and the very strong winds which made finding birds very difficult, especially with a telescope trying to scan the foreshore sea. As a consequence, the number of birds was much less than during a normal visit although I was able to add a further 4 species to my 2024 UK year list.

The highlights from my visit included the following: Dunlin (c.50), Avocet (6), Sanderling (4), Oystercatcher (2), Common Redshank (2), Little Egret (2), Wigeon (c.200), Teal (c.200), Mallard (c.50), Gadwall (c.20), Shoveler (c.15), Shelduck (3), Marsh Harrier (2), Linnet (c.50)

Additions to 2024 UK year list: Dunlin, Avocet, Sanderling, Oystercatcher

After my visit to RSPB Titchwell, I drove down to Travelodge Ely for my last overnight stay.

Tuesday 9th January 2024

In my initial plan for my trip, it had been my intention to visit WWT Welney, RSPB Ouse Washes and, for the first time, RSPB Ouse Fen.

However, I changed that plan in order to visit a number of sites on the way home, most notably Heybridge for the Northern Waterthrush.

Before that exciting and memorable end to my trip, I visited Holland Haven Country Park and Mersea Stone at East Mersea, both in north east Essex plus a second visit to EWT Abberton Reservoir.

Holland Haven Country Park, managed by Tendring District Council, consists of coastal grassland and marshland around the mouth of the Holland Brook, once the site of a small harbour called Holland Haven. Water levels have been raised so that wildfowl and waders are attracted both to over-winter and to breed. It has a complex of dykes and a large brackish pond, all fringed by reeds. The coastal grassland is cut for hay and the inland marshes are grazed by cattle and overlooked by bird hides.

The shore at Holland Haven Country Park is the best regular wintering site in Essex for Purple Sandpiper and this was my target species given my repeated failures at Ness Point in Lowestoft in Suffolk. However, I also failed here and saw little else of note given the extremely strong wind.

Mersea Stone comprises a sand and shell beach at the easternmost tip of Mersea Island and surrounded by the outer reaches of the River Colne estuary and small areas of saltmarsh.

My main target species Stone Point at East Mersea was the small flock of 6 wintering Snow Bunting that had been reported regularly. Despite much searching by several birders, we failed to locate these birds. However, despite yet another disappointment, I did have an enjoyable visit which resulted in further additions to my 2024 UK year list.

The highlights from my visit included the following: Knot (c.120), Common Redshank (c.30), Grey Plover (c.15), Curlew (c.20), Turnstone (10), Dunlin (c.10), Bar-tailed Godwit (3 including an individual already in its brick-red summer plumage!), Dark-bellied Brent Goose (c.300), Little Egret (1), Red-breasted Merganser (1 female), Wigeon (c.100), Teal (c.10), Mallard (4), Shelduck (1), Great Crested Grebe (1), Little Grebe (2), Moorhen (c.30 in one small field on the walk up to the seawall), Meadow Pipit (c.15), Skylark (1), Stonechat (2), Greenfinch (1 male), Pied Wagtail (2)

Additions to 2024 UK year list: Knot, Grey Plover, Turnstone, Bar-tailed Godwit, Skylark, Stonechat

I again visited EWT Abberton Reservoir on the way home but only the viewpoint at St. Andrew’s Church overlooking the north eastern section of the reservoir. Yet again, it was relatively quiet in terms of the number of birds but I did eventually locate the 2 Velvet Scoters that have been wintering in this part of the reservoir, another addition to my 2024 UK year list.  

The final visit of my trip was to Heybridge just outside Maldon where a Northern Waterthrush had been found in a garden on 3rd January 2024 and then seen each day thereafter in Heybridge Hall sluice and ditch.

I had deliberately avoided trying to see this extremely rare bird (only the 8th UK record) at the beginning of my trip and at the weekend due to the photos posted on Twitter/X - EBwS Bird News showing hundreds of people crammed into a small area.




























Therefore, I hoped that the Northern Waterthrush would still be present on a weekday on my return home and so it proved to be. After parking at Heybridge Basin, I walked along the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation Canal to the location that the bird was being reported from each day. I arrived at 3 p.m. and the Northern Waterthrush finally appeared at 4:15 p.m. and provided exceptionally good and close views albeit in the gathering darkness.

This amazing bird advanced my UK life list to 355 species and my Essex life list to 237 species.

I have posted separately here regarding this extremely rare vagrant species and the story behind its discovery in an unlikely spot in my home County of Essex.

#DefendNature
#RestoreNatureNow
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.