Monday 15 January 2024

Trip away from SS15 – Heybridge, Maldon, Essex – 15th January 2024

After my first visit on 9th January 2024 to Heybridge Hall sluice and ditch to see the extremely rare Northern Waterthrush, I had a second visit this morning  to hopefully see it again and photograph it in much better light.
















Photo: Heybridge Hall sluice and ditch
















Photo: Heybridge Hall sluice and ditch

See here for more information regarding this extremely rare vagrant species and the story behind its discovery in an unlikely spot in my home County of Essex.

My first sighting of the Northern Waterthrush on 9th January 2024 was late in the afternoon so I decided on an early morning visit since daily reports were suggesting that mornings were producing most sightings.

I arrived at the location at 8 a.m. in sunny but extremely cold sub-zero temperatures and left at 11:15 a.m. just before frostbite and hypothermia was due to set in!

The Northern Waterthrush finally appeared at 10:30 a.m. for just a few minutes. Unfortunately, it was much more distant than on my first visit on 9th January 2024 but I was able to at least get a record shot (heavily cropped) of this amazing bird.

Photo: Northern Waterthrush

During the lengthy and very cold wait, at least I had the chance to have a long chat with Steve Grimwade from Swallow Birding and Vice-President of Essex Birdwatching Society.

The time also passed with a few other notable sightings: Common Snipe (1 in and flying over the ditch), Lapwing (2 groups of 2 and 3 birds flying over), Moorhen (1), Cetti's Warbler (1)

#DefendNature

#RestoreNatureNow
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.