Friday 19 January 2024

Trip away from SS15 – Heybridge, Maldon, Essex – 19th January 2024

I returned for a third helping today of the extremely rare Northern Waterthrush at Heybridge Hall sluice and ditch after my visits on 9th January 2024 and 15th January 2024.















Photo: Heybridge Hall sluice and ditch















Photo: Heybridge Hall sluice and ditch

See here for more information regarding this extremely rare vagrant species and the story behind its discovery in an unlikely spot in my home County of Essex.

Apart from seeing the bird again, my main hope was achieving some better photos.

I arrived at the location at 11 a.m. in sunny and marginally warmer temperatures than my previous 2 visits and I finally left at 4:15 p.m.

The Northern Waterthrush finally appeared at 12:45 p.m. for just a few minutes.

My first efforts constituted record photos at best ....
















Photo: Northern Waterthrush
















Photo: Northern Waterthrush















Photo: Northern Waterthrush

.... but then I managed 2 photos that I am quite pleased with, especially the second .... 
















Photo: Northern Waterthrush
















Photo: Northern Waterthrush

My list of other notable sightings during my stay of over 5 hours was also better than on my 2 previous visits and included the following: Common Snipe (1), Lapwing (1, 5 and 2 birds flying over), Mallard (male and female), Moorhen (1), Common Buzzard (1 being harassed by a Herring Gull), Kestrel (1 flew over), Sparrowhawk (1 flew rapidly down the length of the ditch), Cettis Warbler (at least 2 singing males), Reed Bunting (1)

The Reed Bunting was my first record of the year, taking my 2024 UK year list to date to 111 species.

Other common birds included the following: Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Magpie and Herring Gull.

Apart from the Northern Waterthrush, I also managed to get some other photos ....















Photo: Common Buzzard















Photo: Kestrel















Photo: Kestrel















Photo: Kestrel















Photo: Common Snipe















Photo: Common Snipe















Photo: male and female Mallard















Photo: Moorhen















Photo: Dunnock















Photo: Robin















Photo: Robin

#DefendNature
#RestoreNatureNow
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.