Monday 29 July 2024

Record from my flat - Tawny Owls

I am currently suffering from sleep deprivation for reasons that I will not expand on!

However, being awake did provide an amazing experience last night.

At 9:45 p.m., I heard the brief hooting of a male Tawny Owl followed by a few minutes of a calling female.

After waking up at 2 a.m., I quickly heard the male Tawny Owl again but more distantly. However, the female called regularly for at least 10 minutes in close proximity to my flat and presumably from the trees immediately adjacent or to the front of the block.

I then had a third installment with the female Tawny Owl again calling regularly for around 5 minutes from 3:05 a.m. but from somewhere to the rear of the block.

I have heard calling Tawny Owls before from my flat but many years ago now so this was an extremely welcome surprise!

The calls of both male and female Tawny Owls can be heard on the BTO website.

Although a common bird, I do not record Tawny Owl every year given that they are almost completely nocturnal. For the last 2 years, I have recorded them at a nestbox at Sculthorpe Moor NR near Fakenham in Norfolk.

My best photo opportunities still remain those of a captive Tawny Owl in September 2011 at the British Wildlife Centre near Lingfield in Surrey .... see here.














Photo: Tawny Owl - British Wildlife Centre













Photo: Tawny Owl - British Wildlife Centre














Photo: Tawny Owl - British Wildlife Centre













Photo: Tawny Owl - British Wildlife Centre













Photo: Tawny Owl - British Wildlife Centre

Love nature .... act now
Restore and rewild our natural world
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.