Friday 25 December 2020

The almost "great conjunction"

On 21st December 2020, I wrote about the "great conjunction", the closest alignment of the largest planets in our solar system, namely Jupiter and Saturn.

Unfortunately on the big day itself it rained so there was no prospect at all of seeing this remarkable event.

However, today was a largely sunny day with clear skies. I just happened to look out of my flat window shortly after sunset and there were Jupiter and Saturn clearly visible to the naked eye and shining brightly low in the south west sky. The view through my binoculars and then telescope was amazing.

I did try and take some photos and this is probably the best. It is not brilliant and the only excuses I can offer are the fact that it was taken through my closed window and the light was poor which a very ISO didn’t even help. I think these rather staggering statistics also played a part!

The distance from the Earth to Jupiter ranges from 365 to 601 million miles

The distance from the Earth to Saturn ranges from 746 million miles to 1.05 billion miles

The distance between Jupiter and Saturn is around 450 million miles














Photo: the almost "great conjunction" .... Jupiter (left) and Saturn (right)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.