Monday 28 December 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 28th December 2020

Date: 28th December 2020

Time: from 9 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny/cloudy, light wind, 0°C to 2°C

This morning’s visit was similar to that on Christmas Day in that it was sunny, cold and frosty although the early sunshine again gave way to grey cloud.

Access to the site via the track from Larkins Tyres continues to be very wet and muddy. The temperature of 0°C had failed to freeze the area.

With regard to birds, I had an excellent visit this morning and recorded 23 species, easily the highest number since spring and early summer. There were several highlights.

Firstly, as I was watching the comings and goings of the Redwings (see below), I saw 3 gulls flying over in a northerly direction which were noticeably larger than the Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls that I often see. A quick look through my binoculars confirmed them to be Great Black-backed Gulls. This was my first record for the site and brought my site total for bird species to 51.














Photo: record shot of Great Black-backed Gulls

Secondly, after seeing my first record for the site of a fly-over Little Egret on 17th May 2020, this morning I recorded my second flying over in an easterly direction.

Thirdly, as I entered the eastern section of the cemetery from the woodland, I heard what I thought I was a calling Pheasant although I was not 100% certain. Much later during my visit, I saw a male Pheasant noisily flying across this area. During my visit on 9th October 2020, I saw a female Pheasant and thought that this was my 50th bird species record for the site. After checking, this turned out not to be the case but nonetheless I have now seen both a male and a female Pheasant this year.

Whether the cold weather was responsible I am not sure but this morning’s visit was noteworthy for the large number of Redwings on site. During my visit, they were continually evident flying around in small groups in and around the cemetery and their soft, thin “seep” calls were an almost constant soundtrack. Fortunately (at last), some birds were coming regularly to feed on Holly and Hawthorn berries in the cemetery (along with Blackbirds and a very hungry Grey Squirrel) which enabled me to get some photos. There must have been at least 30 birds present this morning and possibly many more although it was difficult to estimate given the continual activity.



Whilst photographing the Redwings, I saw both Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker after initially hearing their calls, the former in the far western section of the cemetery and the latter in the central section of the cemetery. In addition, a flock of c.20 calling Goldfinches flew over the central section of the cemetery.

As I walked home past Laindon Park School, I heard and then saw a Goldcrest in the adjacent woodland edge and I also saw c.10 House Sparrows in the bushes by Larkins Tyres.

With regard to mammals, I saw a single Red Fox from my usual watchpoint looking over the field, hedges, scrubland and trees to the north of the site. For some weeks now, this has proved to be the most reliable location for sightings. The Red Fox emerged from the trees at the far side and then walked across the field to disappear in to the hedge. It then reappeared twice as it obviously moved within the hedge in my direction. Unfortunately, the only photos that I managed to get were distant and as a result not particularly sharp. About 15 minutes later, what I assume was the same Red Fox, ran across the far end of the field to again disappear from view.














Photo: record shot of Red Fox














Photo: record shot of Red Fox














Photo: record shot of Red Fox

I saw 7 Grey Squirrels this morning, the first running across the road by Larkins Tyres. This was followed by further individuals along the track from Larkins Tyres, in the wooded area bordering the church car park (where I got some photos), in the western area of the cemetery in the Hawthorn bush which was attracting Redwings (where I also got some photos), in the trees bordering the field to the north of the site plus 2 in the trees around Laindon Park School.

Santa was also still hanging around although I am guessing that he will not be around for much longer!

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin 
Dunnock
Wren
Redwing
Blackbird
Song Thrush
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Pheasant
Little Egret
Great Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Santa 😀

Here are some photos from my visit:


Photo: Redwing














Photo: Redwing













Photo: Redwing














Photo: Redwing














Photo: Redwing



Photo: Redwing














Photo: Redwing

Photo: Redwings

Photo: Magpies

Photo: Woodpigeon



Photo: Woodpigeon



Photo: female Blackbird

Photo: Grey Squirrel

Photo: Grey Squirrel

Photo: Grey Squirrel

Photo: Grey Squirrel

Photo: Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date:

Birds = 51
Mammals = 6
Butterflies = 21
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.