Wednesday 2 December 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 2nd December 2020

Date: 2nd December 2020

Time: from 9 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, 3°C to 5°C

This morning, I had my first visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve since 9th November 2020.

As I walked over to the reserve, it was sunny but this quickly progressed to a dull and cloudy morning for the duration of my visit. It was cold but definitely not as cold as yesterday since the added chill caused by the moderate/strong wind had fortunately subsided.

I saw and heard very few birds during my visit but nonetheless I did have some notable sightings.

The definite highlight was a female Kestrel perched in the trees immediately adjacent to the main track just west of the storage shed. As I approached along the main track from the “Spanish Steps”, I saw a medium-sized bird and initially dismissed it as a Woodpigeon. I am glad that I checked further and looked at it through my binoculars to confirm the identification. I was not especially surprised to see a Kestrel on the reserve (I thought I had heard one calling some months ago) but this bird was particularly confiding and did not fly off as I moved closer to it. I was able to take several photos although the light was not ideal compared with the soft winter sunshine when I left home. After taking my photos, it did eventually decide to move on. This was my first record of Kestrel for the site which brought my site total for bird species to 39.

Other highlights included 2 fly-over Mallards plus a male and a female on Puckles Pond, at least 1 Goldcrest in the wooded area east of Puckles Pond and a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker in the wooded area by the “Spanish Steps”.

Finally, I saw 5 Grey Squirrels (the highest number on any single visit): 2 separate individuals in the wooded areas adjacent to the main track between the “Spanish Steps” and the storage shed, 1 in the wooded area surrounding Puckles Pond,1 in the wooded area surrounding Meadow Pond and 1 in the wooded area surrounding Fox Pond. Having left the reserve and crossed the bridge over the A127, I saw a further 2 Grey Squirrels in the wooded area adjoining the path back towards Asda. It is no great surprise that Grey Squirrels are so evident at present since the autumn and winter period sees them particularly active as they gather acorns and other nuts plus the breeding season commences with males pursuing females.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Kestrel
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Mallard 

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos of the female Kestrel:

























Photo: female Kestrel

























Photo: female Kestrel

Site totals to date:

Birds = 39
Mammals = 2
Butterflies= 18
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.