Sunday 12 September 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 12th September 2021

Date: 12th September 2021 

Time: from 7:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, hazy sunshine, light wind, 12°C to 14°C

This was my first visit to the site in over 2 weeks.

Immediately on leaving the communal exit to the flats where I live, I heard a distant “barking” male Reeves’ Muntjac. During the last week or so, I thought I heard this deer “barking” briefly on 2 other occasions late at night although I could not be certain.  

I accessed the site via the track from Larkins Tyres and, as I did so, a Reeves’ Muntjac sprang out from the scrub to the side of me and ran off down the track, holding its wide tail erect and displaying its white underside, a characteristic sign when this species is disturbed or alarmed.

During my visit, I saw another Reeves’ Muntjac when I was sat at St. Nicholas Church. It slowly crossed the grassy area immediately beyond the car park to disappear in to the wooded area but several minutes later presumably the same individual emerged on the other side to cross Church Hill and again disappear.

After seeing the first Reeves’ Muntjac, I saw a Grey Squirrel in the same area and then another in the western section of the cemetery.
















Photo: Grey Squirrel

Whilst sat at St. Nicholas Church, I saw 2 Red Foxes cross Church Hill in quick succession.

It continues to be relatively quiet with regard to birds although there were several highlights during my visit.

The most notable sighting was from my usual watchpoint overlooking the field, scrub and wooded area in the north of the site. A Common Buzzard flew in pursued by several Magpies and landed and perched at the top of one of the hedges. It was continually harassed by Magpies for around 10 minutes before it flew off in a westerly direction only to return almost immediately, still pursued by Magpies, and then head in a south easterly direction towards my flat.
















Photo: heavily cropped record shot of distant Common Buzzard

From this viewpoint, I also heard an almost continually but distantly calling Chiffchaff and, on a few brief occasions, this bird or another, broke in to song although by no means as loud and robust as in spring. In addition, I heard the brief alarm calling of a Blackcap in the same area. I failed to see either species but evidently both of the common summer visiting and breeding warblers are still present.

The only other notable records were 2 calling Great Spotted Woodpeckers (1 around St. Nicholas Church and 1 in the wooded area adjacent to the viewpoint) and 2 fly-over Canada Geese heading in an easterly direction and also seen from the watchpoint.

In another sign that autumn is here, Robins are singing again regularly around the site and Jays have become far more conspicuous and noisy as they go about their acorn foraging trips.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Common Buzzard
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Herring Gull
Canada Goose

Red Fox
Reeves’ Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 53  (42)
Mammals = 6  (5)
Butterflies = 21  (14)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (2)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.