Saturday 9 October 2021

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 9th October 2021

Date: 9th October 2021 

Time: from 8 a.m.

Weather: dry, misty/hazy sunshine, light wind, 8°C to 11°C

It was a very autumnal morning for my visit: cool, mist giving way to hazy sunshine and a heavy dew revealing numerous spider webs.

However, as mentioned previously, it has been a very poor autumn for fruits and berries (blackberries, sloes, hips and haws) compared with the great abundance last year. The almost complete lack of acorns on the oak trees is also apparent and this morning I noticed that the very few of the fallen horse chestnut fruits contained conkers. In contrast, the 2 holly trees in the cemetery now have many red berries, awaiting the imminent arrival in to the UK (and hopefully to St. Nicholas Church cemetery) of Redwings from Scandinavia.  

It continues to be relatively quiet with regard to birds and I only recorded 10 species during my visit.

Woodpeckers were the main highlight with a Great Spotted Woodpecker heard calling and then seen flying over the south west corner of the site plus another heard from the eastern section of the cemetery and Green Woodpeckers seen in both the western and central sections of the cemetery plus another heard from along the track back to Larkins Tyres.

Robins were the most conspicuous species with several singing and calling throughout the site.

Whilst sat in the eastern section of the cemetery, I saw a Red Fox emerge from the boundary bushes and trees and trot away up the path towards the church. A few minutes later, another Red Fox, or maybe the same animal, appeared on the other side before it also disappeared back in to the boundary bushes and trees. It also re-emerged after a few minutes and started walking towards me before turning round and running off.

I saw a single Grey Squirrel running along the fence beside the track back to Larkins Tyres.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Robin




























Photo: Green Woodpecker




























Photo: Green Woodpecker
















































































































Site totals to date (2021 totals in brackets):

Birds = 53  (42)
Mammals = 6  (5)
Butterflies = 21  (14)
Dragonflies and damselflies = 7  (2)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed with herpes simplex virus for 4 years, I was browsing through Facebook when I saw how someone was testifying about Dr Muthuka on facebook , on how Dr muthuka cured her, I also contacted Dr Muthuka and he sent me the herbal medicine I use it for few weeks now I'm totally free from herpes virus, God bless Dr muthuka ,, you can email him on this email muthukaherbalhome@gmail.com or call +2349039175109

    or check on website https://drmuthukaherbalcenter.webs.com
    httpss://www.facebook.com/Muthukaherbalremedy/ okay thank
    you all

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.