Saturday 2 October 2021

Record from my flat - Swallow, Green Woodpecker and Sparrowhawk

Today has been eventful ....

At 8:40 a.m. this morning, I saw yet another Swallow flying through in a southerly direction and beginning its journey to its wintering grounds in South Africa.

I wrote more about these remarkable birds and their epic migration here.

At 10:35 a.m., I heard the loud alarm calling of a Green Woodpecker before seeing it being harassed and pursued by a Magpie with both birds darting in and out of the hedge. I have never seen this type of interaction between these 2 species before. Eventually, the Magpie emerged from the hedge and flew off, followed shortly after by the Green Woodpecker which perched up briefly on the roof of the end house opposite my flat.

At 12:40 p.m., I briefly saw a female Sparrowhawk in rapid pursuit of a Woodpigeon at the rear of our block of flats. Fortunately, for the Woodpigeon at least, it managed to veer off and the Sparrowhawk continued on and over the hedge and out of sight.

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.