Tuesday 27 December 2022

Record from my flat - Red Admiral

On my way back home at lunchtime, I noticed a flying Red Admiral in the grassy area adjacent to the boundary fence of the block of flats where I live.

Although it was sunny, it was only 9°C so this was a very surprising sighting.

However, Butterfly Conservation advises on their website that .... "They continue flying into October or November and are typically seen nectaring on garden buddleias or flowering Ivy and on rotting fruit. There is an indication that numbers have increased in recent years and that overwintering has occurred in the far south of England.

In addition, Woodland Trust advises on their website that .... "The adult butterflies are on the wing from spring until as late as November. Migrants arrive from continental Europe and North Africa as early as March, and the eggs they lay produce a fresh emergence of adults in late summer. Most adults begin to migrate south again by the end of the summer, but some are thought to successfully hibernate here through the winter."

So maybe this sighting was not so surprising after all.

Red Admiral is a species that I see regularly on my local patch sites in spring and summer and occasionally in autumn.
















Photo: Red Admiral
















Photo: Red Admiral

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.