Thursday 15 December 2022

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 15th December 2022

Date: 15th December 2022

Time: from 8:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, -6°C to -1°C

After very successful visits watching and photographing Red Foxes in frosty and snowy conditions on 10th December 2022 and 13th December 2022, I was keen to have another visit before the weather warmed up and melted the lying snow.

It was an extremely cold morning with temperatures of -6°C when I left home before reaching a balmy -1°C by the time I returned at around midday.

Unlike my last visit which was grey and dull, this morning it was bright and sunny.




As on my 2 previous visits, I accessed the site via the track from Larkins Tyres, walked through the trees to the watchpoint overlooking the rough grassy field bordered by scrub, hedges and trees, climbed over the fence and walked across the field and walked through a gap in the hedge to scan the area.

I spent approximately 1.5 hours at this location and around the field that I had crossed and I saw at least 2 different Red Foxes and possibly 3.

The number of Red Foxes and the frequency of their appearances was much lower than on my previous 2 visits. This may have been due to the 2 very friendly horses obscuring my view for much of the time! Whilst lovely animals, their desire to stand right in front of me was frustrating.































I quickly had my first sightings of 2 Red Foxes although both were very distant views ....
















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

However, sightings and photo opportunities definitely improved thereafter ....
















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox

I finally decided to leave this location and walk back to the Larkins Tyres access track, through the wooded area and cemetery and up to the church.

In the central section of the cemetery, I saw 2 Grey Squirrels foraging together in a tree.

When I reached the church car park, I saw yet another Red Fox walking slowly through the grassy strip that runs down to St. Nicholas Lane ….

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

Some time later, I saw a further 2 Red Foxes together in the western section of the cemetery ….
















Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

With regard to birds, I had several notable records.

The most interesting and exciting record was of 7 Lapwings flying over in a northerly direction. This was my first record of this species for the site taking the total number of bird species recorded to 60 and the total number for 2022 to 44. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any photos. This was undoubtedly a cold weather movement of Lapwings.

Redwings were even more abundant than on my previous 2 visits with c.30 at least seen in the western of the cemetery and in the area immediately surrounding the church. Although typically a very nervous and flighty species, I was able to get a number of photos ….















Photo: Redwings






























Photo: Redwings





























Photo: Redwings





























Photo: Redwings





























Photo: Redwing





























Photo: Redwing





























Photo: Redwing





























Photo: Redwing





























Photo: Redwing





























Photo: Redwing


























Photo: Redwing

Other notable records from the main Red Fox watching location included the following, all of which I only occasionally see at the site: Greenfinch (1 male), Chaffinch (1 heard calling and briefly seen in flight), Jackdaw (2 flying over in a northerly direction)

I saw both woodpecker species during my visit: single Green Woodpeckers from the main Red Fox watching location and in the western section of the cemetery, a single Great Spotted Woodpecker in the wooded area adjacent to the cemetery and 2 very active Great Spotted Woodpeckers around the church. One of the Great Spotted Woodpeckers took a liking to a telegraph pole at the top of Church Hill and momentarily to the church spire ….















Photo: Great Spotted Woodpecker

Photo: Great Spotted Woodpecker

Here are some other photos from my visit ....

Photo: Blackbird
















Photo: Blackbird

















Photo: Blackbird




























Photo: Blue Tit



























Photo: Blue Tit
















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin
















Photo: Robin

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Redwing
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jackdaw
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull
Lapwing

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 60  (44)
Mammals = 7  (4)
Butterflies = 22  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 10  (9)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.