Saturday 10 December 2022

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 10th December 2022

Date: 10th December 2022

Time: from 8.45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, -3°C to 1°C

This was by far the coldest day of the winter so far with temperatures below -3°C.

Before leaving home, I took the opportunity to photograph some amazing ice patterns on the outside of my windows.












































Having donned several layers, I left home to enjoy a beautiful sunny morning.




















I accessed the site as I usually do via the track from Larkins Tyres. I stopped by the fence adjacent to Larkin Tyres to scan the scrub and scattered bushes and immediately saw a very distant Red Fox right at the back of this area.

After reaching the wooded area at the end of the track, I walked through the trees to the watchpoint overlooking the rough grassy field bordered by scrub, hedges and trees. I climbed over the fence and walked across the field and walked through a gap in the hedge which provided an opportunity to scan the area where I had seen the Red Fox.

I spent approximately 2 hours at this location and around the field that I had crossed and I had probably my best encounter with Red Foxes. I saw at least 4 different animals and possibly up to 6.

I quickly saw a very distant Red Fox which was soon joined by another. On one occasion, one of the animals picked up what I think was a plastic ball.

Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Foxes





























Photo: Red Fox

Some of the views were restricted by the very large but friendly horses that grazed the area, especially when they came right over to me to see if I had any food for them!


As time went on, several of the Red Foxes approached much closer although some seemed quite content to just sleep in the sunshine.

Photo: Red Fox






























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Red Fox




























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox





























Photo: Red Fox

When watching Red Foxes, there is always the distinct possibility that you yourself are being watched!



With regard to birds, I had a much shorter species list than the 21 recorded on my last visit on 22nd November 2022. 

However, I did see a single Cormorant flying over in a westerly direction, a single Green Woodpecker and c.10 Redwings. I also heard a single calling Great Spotted Woodpecker.

The only other photo that I got was of a Blue Tit ....
















Photo: Blue Tit

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Redwing
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull

Red Fox

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):


Birds = 59  (43)
Mammals = 7  (4)
Butterflies = 22  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 10  (9)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.