Tuesday 13 December 2022

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 13th December 2022

Date: 13th December 2022

Time: from 9 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy, light wind, -2°C to 1°C

After a very successful visit watching and photographing Red Foxes in frosty conditions 3 days ago (see here), subsequent heavy snowfall and lying snow prompted a further visit.

Unfortunately, it was very grey and dull and the light was less than ideal but I thought another visit was worthwhile in the snowy conditions.

It was another very cold morning requiring several layers to keep warm.









As on my last visit, I accessed the site via the track from Larkins Tyres, walked through the trees to the watchpoint overlooking the rough grassy field bordered by scrub, hedges and trees, climbed over the fence and walked across the field and walked through a gap in the hedge to scan the area.

I spent approximately 1.5 hours at this location and around the field that I had crossed and again I saw at least 4 different Red Foxes and possibly up to 6.

Fortunately, on this occasion, the 2 very friendly horses kept their distance from where I sat and did not obscure my view!















I quickly had my first sighting of a Red Fox, albeit a very distant view through a gap in the bushes ....















Photo: Red Fox

However, sightings and photo opportunities definitely improved thereafter ....















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

Photo: Red Fox
















Photo: Red Fox

With regard to birds, the abundance and diversity was again very low although I did record a higher number of species than on my last visit on 10th December 2022.

The most notable record was a single calling Skylark which flew over heading east. On 3rd October 2022, I had my first ever record of this species with 3 birds seen, again flying over in an easterly direction. Another record so soon after my first was very welcome.

Redwings were especially abundant and vocal with c.20 at least seen from the location where I watched the Red Foxes and a further c.20 at least in the western and central sections of the cemetery.















Photo: Redwing

Photo: Redwing















Photo: Redwings















Photo: Redwings















Photo: Redwings















Photo: Redwings


In addition, I saw 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, a single bird from the location where I watched the
Red Foxes, and 2 flying in to trees in the central section of the cemetery. I also heard a single calling Green Woodpecker in the central section of the cemetery.

Here are some other photos from my visit ....
















Photo: Blue Tit
















Photo: Magpie
















Photo: Goldfinches

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Skylark
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Redwing
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Herring Gull

Red Fox

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):


Birds = 59  (43)
Mammals = 7  (4)
Butterflies = 22  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 10  (9)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.