Monday 5 December 2022

Trip away from SS15 – Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk

I booked a rental car from 9 a.m. on 30th November 2022 to 9 a.m. on 5th December 2022 for a trip away from home to include visits to a number of sites in EssexSuffolk and Norfolk.

30th November 2022

After using the car for other things such as visiting the local tip and shopping, I drove to RSPB Wallasea Island in south east Essex.

RSPB Wallasea Island is a huge reserve covering more than 740 hectares. It comprises former arable farming land which has been transformed in to saltmarsh, mudflats, lagoons and grazing marsh.

To create this magical landscape, more than 3 million tonnes of earth was brought by boat from the tunnels and shafts created by the Crossrail scheme in London. This allowed the land to be raised above sea level and place the soil in a way that created a new 115-hectare intertidal area of saltmarsh, islands and mudflats known as Jubilee Marsh. In addition, Crossrail helped create saline lagoons, a creek network and grazing marsh.

Wallasea Island Wild Coast Project

I arrived mid-afternoon so there was insufficient time to walk the extensive network of trails. However, the main purpose of my visit was to scan the grazing marsh adjacent to the access road leading down to the car park, specifically for sightings of raptors and owls. My main target species was Hen Harrier which I had yet to add to my 2022 year list.

I failed to see any Hen Harriers but I did see 2 Short-eared Owls and an unexpected Dartford Warbler, the latter associating closely with a pair of Stonechats which this species typically does.

Dartford Warbler is a species that I nearly always see in spring on visits to Westelton and Dunwich Heaths in Suffolk and additionally if I visit Dorset. This was my first Essex record, taking my Essex list to 234 species.

I was unable to get any photos of the Dartford Warbler which was very flighty and elusive but this is the bird ....

Other highlights from my visit included the following: Marsh Harrier (5+), Kestrel (3+), Stonechat (5+), Corn Bunting (1), Lapwing (++), Golden Plover (++), Wigeon (++), Dark-bellied Brent Goose (++), Grey Heron (3), Little Egret (2)

Photo: Short-eared Owl





























Photo: Short-eared Owl




























Photo: Short-eared Owl

1st December 2022

On the drive up to Lowestoft Ness, I saw a Great White Egret fly over the A12 just outside Kessingland.

Although I have seen this ever-increasing heron species in Essex and Norfolk, this was my first Suffolk record, taking my Suffolk list to 189 species. 

Before moving on up to the north east coast of Norfolk, I visited Ness Point in Lowestoft. Being largely a coastal industrial area, it has nothing to recommend it scenically although it is significant in being the most easterly point in the UK. It is also well known amongst birders as being a very reliable site for Purple Sandpipers in winter. This species is a relatively scarce winter visitor to the UK from their Arctic breeding grounds.

My main target species was indeed Purple Sandpiper which I had yet to add to my 2022 year list. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in finding any amongst the Turnstones.

Highlights from my visit included the following: Turnstone (10), Oystercatcher (2), Cormorant (1), Rock Pipit (1)

I spent most of the late morning and afternoon at Horsey beach and dunes on the coast of north east Norfolk. This is a well-known location for Atlantic Grey Seals, especially in November and December when large numbers are present during the pupping season. See Friends of Horsey Seals for detailed information.


Photo: the last weekly count before my visit





























Photo: information board on the Atlantic Grey Seal colony





























Photo: Horsey beach





























Photo: Horsey beach





























Photo: Horsey beach



























Photo: Horsey beach

In addition to the huge numbers of Atlantic Grey Seals, other highlights from my visit included the following: Pink-footed Goose (c.300 flying over), Grey Heron (1), Stonechat (1 male), Meadow Pipit (c.5)

I took several hundred photos of the Atlantic Grey Seals, the best of which can be seen here.

My day concluded at NWT Hickling Broad and Marshes and specifically the Stubb Mill viewpoint.

NWT Hickling Broad and Marshes is the largest of the Norfolk Broads and is a year-round haven for wildlife and holds a significant percentage of the UK population of Common Crane as well as important breeding numbers of BitternMarsh Harrier and Bearded Tit.

In winter, large numbers of Marsh Harriers roost in the reedbed north east of Stubb Mill and Hen HarrierMerlin and Barn Owl can also often be seen. Interesting mammals include the introduced Chinese Water Deer plus Red Deer and Otter.

I spent around 2 hours at the Stubb Mill viewpoint and stayed until it was almost completely dark. It was very cold just sitting still for most of the time but, after failing at RSPB Wallasea IslandI was rewarded with excellent but distant sightings of both a male and a female Hen Harrier. This record took my 2022 year list to 203 species.

Other highlights from my visit included the following: Common Crane (a total of 10 coming in to roost in groups of 2 or 3), Tawny Owl (male heard calling near Stubb Mill), Marsh Harrier (at least 10 coming in to roost), Common Buzzard (2), Sparrowhawk (1), Great White Egret (3), Grey Heron (2), Pink-footed Goose (++), Egyptian Goose (4), Mute Swan (8), Fieldfare (1), Redwing (c.20), Chinese Water Deer (1), Grey Squirrel (1) 

Photo: Stubb Mill
















Photo: sunset on the walk back to Hickling Visitor Centre

After walking back along the lane in darkness to the visitor centre car park, I drove to Burnham Deepdale for my overnight stay at Deepdale Camping and Rooms.

Deepdale Camping and Rooms is an award-winning, eco-friendly accommodation provider situated on the organic Deepdale Farm in the village of Burnham Deepdale on the north Norfolk coast.

Whilst I was aware of Deepdale Camping and Rooms, having driven past it on countless occasions, I had never stayed there before. I was prompted to do so on the recommendation of another birdwatcher that I met at Holkham Bay earlier in the year.

I have been visiting north Norfolk for many years and I have usually stayed in Travelodges in Kings Lynn, Norwich or Great Yarmouth. However, Deepdale Camping and Rooms is much more convenient for the locations that I visit on the north Norfolk coast …. and much nicer!

Rooms .... Deepdale Camping and Rooms

My room (“Lobster”) was basic but very warm, comfortable and spotlessly clean. Adjacent to the rooms there is a massive well-equipped kitchen, a communal dining area and a sitting room with a large TV.

Next door is a well-stocked NISA supermarket, a café and various craft shops and within a short distance are 2 excellent pubs in Brancaster Staithe …. The Jolly Sailors and The White Horse.

If all this wasn’t enough, there was the dawn and dusk soundtrack of fly-over Pink-footed Geese flying over …. amazing!

I paid £40 per night and stayed for 2 nights but during the winter months there is a mid-week special offer of 3 nights for the price of 2 nights which I will definitely be taking advantage of for my New Year trip to north Norfolk.















Photo: Deepdale Camping and Rooms

2nd December 2022

On the short drive from Deepdale Camping and Rooms to Holkham, I saw 3 Red Kites and 2 Common Buzzards.

My main visit of the day was to Holkham National Nature Reserve and specifically Holkham beach and bay.

Holkham National Nature Reserve is England's largest National Nature Reserve and it is situated on the Norfolk coast between Burnham Overy Staithe and BlakeneyIt is managed by Natural England with the co-operation of the Holkham Estate. 

Holkham National Nature Reserve comprises 3900 hectares of a wide range of habitats including grazing marsh, pine woodland, scrub, salt marshsand dunes and foreshore.

The reserve is part of the North Norfolk Coast Site of Special Scientific Interest and the larger area is additionally protected through Natura 2000Special Protection Area and Ramsar listings and it is part of both an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a World Biosphere Reserve.

Holkham National Nature Reserve is a huge area and I accessed the site via Lady Anne’s Drive (opposite the entrance to Holkham Hall) and the Holkham Beach car park.

My visit to Holkham beach and bay and the area either side of Lady Anne’s Drive proved to be very productive as I expected it to be although I was disappointed not to see any Shorelarks which have again returned to the beach this winter or the White-tailed Eagle that had been reported in the area on several days prior to my visit. 

Highlights from my visit included the following: 

Lady Anne’s Drive: Pink-footed Goose (++++), Dark-bellied Brent Goose (c.125), Greylag Goose (c.20), Egyptian Goose (2), Wigeon (++++), Teal (5), Lapwing (c.20), Curlew (10), Black-tailed Godwit (10), Common Redshank (2), Red Kite (2), Marsh Harrier (1), Kestrel (1), Reeves’ Muntjac (2)

Holkham beach and sand dunes: Snow Bunting (12), Meadow Pipit (c.10), Skylark (5)

Holkham bay (sea ): Great Northern Diver (1), Red-throated Diver (5), Slavonian Grebe (1), Common Scoter (+++), Red-breasted Merganser (c.10+), Great Crested Grebe (c.10+), Cormorant (c.30), Atlantic Grey Seal (2)

Holkham bay (foreshore): Sanderling (c.10)

The generally poor weather, including periods of heavy rain, prevented me from getting any photos.

After spending over 3 hours at Holkham National Nature Reserve and Holkham beach and bay, I drove further east to Sheringham where I had 2 specific targets: Waxwing and Purple Sandpiper.

I was initially successful in seeing 10 Waxwings in a residential area just south of the main A149 coast road. This was not my first record of the year, having already seen a single bird at Cley-next-the-Sea in January 2022.

Despite the dull and grey light and the frequent rain showers, I did manage to get some photos of this small group of Waxwings ….

Photo: Waxwing






























Photo: Waxwings





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwings





























Photo: Waxwings





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing





























Photo: Waxwing



























Photo: Waxwing

After an hour or so with the Waxwings, I drove back in to Sheringham town centre and parked up near the museum on the promenade. A short walk provided good opportunities to photograph some of the c.30 Turnstones and I eventually located the 3 roosting Purple Sandpipers that had been reported on several days prior to my visit. After failing at the usually reliable location of Ness Point in Suffolkthis record took my 2022 year list to 204 species.

Photo: Purple Sandpipers





























Photo: Purple Sandpipers




























Photo: Turnstone



























Photo: Turnstone




























Photo: Turnstone

On the way back to Deepdale Camping and Rooms for my second night there, I had a short stop to photograph Burnham Overy Staithe Windmill at sunset ....





























Photo: Burnham Overy Staithe windmill

3rd December 2022

After checking out from Deepdale Camping and Rooms, I drove the short distance to RSPB Titchwell Marsh.

RSPB Titchwell Marsh is one of my most visited locations on the north Norfolk coast and it is a very productive site at any time of the year due to the mosaic of habitats including reedbeds, freshwater and saline lagoons, saltmarsh, sandy and shingle foreshore, sand dunes, woodland and grassland. It is an excellent site for breeding birds, passage migrants and winter visitors.

I had a relatively short visit to RSPB Titchwell Marsh due to the rainy weather and I spent all my time in the first hide rather than continuing down to the second hide and the seashore.

Highlights from my visit included the following: Dark-bellied Brent Goose (c.125), Wigeon (+++), Teal (+++), Shoveler (++), Mallard (+), Shelduck (c.10), Pintail (5), Great White Egret (1), Avocet (12), Lapwing (5), Golden Plover (2), Dunlin (4), Curlew (2), Common Redshank (1), Cetti’s Warbler (2 singing males heard)

Photo: RSPB Titchwell






























Photo: RSPB Titchwell

After my visit to RSPB Titchwell Marsh, I drove down to the village of Flitcham to the east of Sandringham and explored the network of narrow lanes in the area between here and Anmer.

My main target species was Grey Partridge which I had yet to add to my 2022 year list. Despite much searching, I failed to see which was disappointing since I am usually successful in this area.

Highlights from my visit to this area included the following: Red Kite (1), Common Buzzard (4), Marsh Harrier (1), Kestrel (4), Red-legged Partridge (5), Meadow Pipit (2), Greenfinch/Goldfinch flock (c.60), Brown Hare (1)

My final visit of the day was to WWT Welney.

From the visitor centre and café balcony, I had excellent extended views of a Barn Owl hunting over Lady Fen plus a single Chinese Water Deer.

Photo: Barn Owl






























Photo: Barn Owl





























Photo: Barn Owl





























Photo: Barn Owl





























Photo: Barn Owl


























Photo: Barn Owl

Other highlights from my visit included the following: Whooper Swan (c.10 …. much lower numbers than expected), Mute Swan (c.10), Canada Goose (c.100), Greylag Goose (c.50), Wigeon (+++), Common Pochard (++), Tufted Duck (3), Teal (c.10), Pintail (c.10), Shelduck (4), Cormorant (10), Common Buzzard (2), Marsh Harrier (2+), Sparrowhawk (2), Kestrel (2), Lapwing (+++), Golden Plover (+++), Black-tailed Godwit (c.100), Common Snipe (1), Common Redshank (8)


Photo: WWT Welney





























Photo: WWT Welney




























Photo: Whooper Swan





























Photo: Whooper Swan





























Photo: Whooper Swan




























Photo: Whooper Swan

4th December 2022

For my final day with my rental car, I had a trip from home to EWT Abberton Reservoir just south of Colchester in north east Essex.

The huge expanse of EWT Abberton Reservoir is one of Europe's top wetland sites. It is of international importance as a safe haven for wild ducks, swans and other water birds, whether resident, passing through on migration or over-wintering.

Although I restricted myself to watching from the 2 causeways, the numbers of wintering wildfowl was generally low for December and disappointingly I failed to see the Long-tailed DuckScaupSlavonian Grebe and other notable species that had been reported on several days prior to my visit.

Highlights from my visit included the following: Goosander (29), Goldeneye (c.15), Wigeon (c.20), Shoveler (+++), Mallard (c.20), Tufted Duck (+), Common Pochard (c.10), Teal (+), Great Crested Grebe (c.100), Mute Swan (9), Cormorant (c.20), Great White Egret (3), Little Egret (2), Grey Heron (1), Lapwing (c.100), Black-tailed Godwit (2), Common Redshank (1), Dunlin (5), Ruff (1), Common Buzzard (1), Grey Wagtail (1)

Photo: male Goosander






























Photo: male Goosanders




























Photo: female Goosander




























Photo: Little Egret




























Photo: Black-headed Gull




























Photo: Black-headed Gulls




























Photo: Black-headed Gulls




























Photo: Black-headed Gull

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.