Tuesday 7 May 2024

Trip away from SS15 – Essex, Sussex, Suffolk, Wales and Somerset – May 2024

I booked a rental car from 30th April to 7th May 2024 for a trip away from home to include visits to a number of sites in EssexSussexSuffolk, Wales and Somerset.

My aim was to primarily add species to my 2024 UK year list.

My trip provided excellent birding opportunities including 35 additions to my 2024 UK year list taking it to 172 species.

The 35 additions to my 2023 UK year list were as follows: Gannet, Bittern, Spoonbill, Osprey, Hobby, Red Grouse, Black Grouse, Greenshank, Common Sandpiper, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Guillemot, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Cuckoo, Swift, Woodlark, House Martin, Tree Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Dipper, Common Redstart, Grasshopper Warbler, Dartford Warbler, Garden Warbler, Wood Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher, Pied Flycatcher, Treecreeper, Chough, Raven, Lesser Redpoll, Common Crossbill

This included my first Spotted Flycatcher since 2022 and my first Common Crossbill since 2019.

In addition, I recorded 8 mammal speciesOtter, Daubenton's Bat, Red Squirrel, Grey Squirrel, Fallow Deer, Reeves' Muntjac, Brown Hare, Rabbit

This included my first records of Otter and Red Squirrel in Wales and my first record of Daubenton's Bat anywhere in the UK.

In addition, I recorded Common Lizard and 4 butterfly species (Green Hairstreak, Orange Tip, Peacock, Green-veined White).

During my trip, I visited the following sites: 

EWT Abberton Reservoir, Essex

SWT Old Lodge, Sussex

NNR Westleton Heath, Suffolk

RSPB Minsmere, Suffolk

World's End and the Ruabon Moors, Denbighshire

Nant Ffrancon in the Snowdonia National Park, Gwynedd

LNR Dingle, Llangefni, Anglesey

RSPB South Stack and Holyhead Harbour, Anglesey

RSPB Cors Ddyga, Anglesey

Cwm RheidolCeredigion

RSPB Ynys-Hir, Powys

MWT Dyfi Osprey Project, Powys

Bwlch Nant yr ArianCeredigion

Rhayader and Elan Village area

RWT Gilfach, Powys

RSPB Carngafallt, Powys

St Govan’s Head, Pembrokeshire

RSPB Ham Wall, Somerset

In addition, my trip included the "Lost Words" exhibition at Oriel y Parc Gallery and Visitor Centre in St. Davids, Pembrokeshire and my 6th Bruce Springsteen concert at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

Follow these links to the individual day accounts ....

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Love nature .... act now
Restore and rewild our natural world
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.