Sunday 15 September 2024

Trip away from SS15 - RSPB Vange Marsh, Vange, Essex

This morning I visited RSPB Vange Marsh which is only 4 miles from my home and easily reached by local buses.

This was my first visit since 8th August 2024.

RSPB Vange Marsh is a mosaic of wetland habitats with fresh and saltwater lagoons attracting many breeding birds in spring and summer, passage migrant waders especially in late summer and autumn and large numbers of ducks in winter. There are no specific facilities in the way of a visitor centre or hides but nature trails and public footpaths allow viewing over the wetland areas.

The principal issue at RSPB Vange Marsh is that the views are towards the south so bright sunny days are problematic. In addition, birds are always very distant requiring a telescope (which on warm and sunny days creates even worse problems with heat haze) and photography opportunities are extremely limited.

I decided to visit RSPB Vange Marsh this morning due primarily to recent reports of a vagrant Lesser Yellowlegs plus Little Stints and Spotted Redshanks, both species which I have not recorded this year.

I was eventually successful in seeing the Lesser Yellowlegs in the south west corner of the lagoon. I initially spotted a roosting "suspect" which finally did the decent thing and woke up, preened and walked about before flying a short distance and dropping down out of view.

Lesser Yellowlegs is a medium-sized wader that breeds in the boreal forest regions of north America. It is a regular vagrant to western Europe including the UK with a few birds arriving each autumn (mostly between August and October) with the occasional individual overwintering.

This was my 8th record of Lesser Yellowlegs in the UK following my first record at East Tilbury in Essex on  7th February 1999 and my second record at RSPB Vange Marsh on 26th August 2016. My last record was at RSPB Frampton Marsh in Lincolnshire last year on 25th September 2023.

I was also successful in seeing a single Little Stint and 10 Spotted Redshanks, these species and the Lesser Yellowlegs taking my UK year list for 2024 to 187 species.

The notable sightings from my visit with regard to birds were as follows: Lesser Yellowlegs (1), Little Stint (1), Dunlin (1), Little Ringed Plover (2), Spotted Redshank (10), Common Redshank (2), Common Snipe (5), Ruff (7), Black-tailed Godwit (at least 100), Lapwing (at least 50), Avocet (at least 20), Curlew (10), Mute Swan (2), Canada Goose (1), Mallard (at least 50), Teal (at least 50)

In addition, I recorded the following dragonflies and butterfliesEmperor Dragonfly (2 or possibly 3), Ruddy Darter (1 male), hawker species (c.5), Common Blue (1 male), Small White (1)

Love nature .... act now
Restore and rewild our natural world
Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.