Monday 9 November 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 9th November 2020

Date: 9th November 2020

Time: from 8:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, misty/cloudy, light wind, 12°C to 13°C

This morning, I had my first visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve since 13th October 2020.

It was a misty and cloudy but mild morning with the reserve looking very autumnal. I saw and heard very few birds during my visit and the list of species recorded is quite short.

The highlight was a Moorhen enjoying the much increased water level in Puckles Pond, the first that I have seen since the spring when the water level was at similar levels.

The other highlights from my visit were a Great Spotted Woodpecker seen from the end of the boardwalk at the far eastern end of the reserve, 2 or 3 calling but unseen Goldcrests in the wooded area east of Puckles Pond and a fly-over calling but unseen Pied Wagtail.

With regard to other birds, Robins, singing and calling, were fairly conspicuous throughout the reserve as were small foraging groups of Blue Tits and Great Tits plus a single Long-tailed Tit.

Finally, I saw 4 Grey Squirrels (the highest number on any single visit): 2 separate individuals in the wooded areas adjacent to the main track between the “Spanish Steps” and the storage shed, 1 in the wooded area surrounding Puckles Pond and 1 in the wooded area east of Puckles Pond.

Unfortunately, I was unable to take any acceptable photos during this visit.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Pied Wagtail
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Moorhen

Grey Squirrel

Site totals to date:

Birds = 38
Mammals = 2
Butterflies= 18
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.