Sunday 17 May 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 17th May 2020

Date: 17th May 2020

Time: from 6:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 8°C to 15°C

I visited St. Nicholas Church, its graveyard and the surrounding areas today.

I saw Red Foxes regularly this morning, although mostly the usual vixen, and I have again written a separate dedicated blog post about it here.

On today’s visit, I added Little Egret to my site list taking it to a total of 46 species. I have only seen a fly-over Grey Heron on a few occasions over the years but this morning I saw this species and very quickly also noticed the Little Egret in close proximity.

I again saw Swifts around St. Nicholas Church on this visit. Firstly, I saw 2 birds at 7:30 a.m. actually engaged in mating in the air, something I have never witnessed before. Swifts spend the vast majority of their lives on the wing and only land to access their nest sites. Secondly, I saw 4 “screaming” birds at 8:40 a.m.

With regard to other birds, I heard 6 singing Blackcaps and 3 singing Chiffchaffs without seeing any of them plus I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

I saw 4 Grey Squirrels on this visit, the last 2 being in the wooded area very close to my flat.

Finally, as I approached my flat, I noticed another Red Fox further down the grassy track that borders Czarina Rise and Royal Oak Chase. If I had been at home, I may have seen it from my lockdown window as it passed through.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Swift
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Grey Heron
Little Egret

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:



Photo: Little Egret

Photo: Robin



Photo: Dunnock

Photo: Magpie



Photo: Collared Dove

Photo: Grey Squirrel



Photo: Common Poppies



Photo: with all this lockdown stuff, we are so confused …. is it lie-in Sunday or not? 😀

Site totals to date:
Birds = 46
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 16
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.