Wednesday 22 June 2022

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 22nd June 2022

Date: 22nd June 2022

Time: from 8 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 14°C to 18°C

Having seen the emergence of Marbled Whites as I walked through the rough grassland area adjacent to St. Nicholas Lane on my return home from EWT Langdon (Dunton) yesterday, I decided to visit this morning specifically with the purpose of photographing this species and any other butterflies.

Although only 14°C at the start of my visit, the grass strip known as Hilly Road which runs down from the church to St. Nicholas Lane and particularly the rough grassland area adjacent to St. Nicholas Lane were both alive with very active butterflies.















I recorded 4 or 5 species: Marbled White (20+), Small Skipper/Essex Skipper (20+), Large Skipper (at least 1)Meadow Brown (20+)

All 3 skipper species were first site records for 2022, bringing the total number of butterfly species recorded to 10.

I have seen Marbled Whites in the rough grassland area adjacent to St. Nicholas Lane in previous years but I do not recall so many which is really encouraging. They were very challenging to photograph since they rarely settled on any of the grass stems or plants. However, I did manage to get photos of both a male and a female ….




























Photo: Marbled White




























Photo: Marbled White

All skipper species can also be difficult to photograph since they are very active and fast fliers. If that isn't challenging enough, photos rarely show the undersides of the antennae to confirm the identification (brown in Small Skipper and black in Essex Skipper). A few skippers did settle for brief periods to allow me to get some photographs ….




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Small Skipper or Essex Skipper




























Photo: Large Skipper

After visiting this area, I walked back up to the church, through the cemetery and on to the pond in the north of the site which had held at least 2 male and 2 female Broad-bodied Chasers, a single Four-spotted Chaser, a single Large Red Damselfly and 50+ Azure Damselflies and/or Common Blue Damselflies on my last visit on 15th June 2022.

As I passed through the cemetery, I noticed a female Ruddy Darter resting on one of the noticeboards. 















Photo: female Ruddy Darter

As I reached the pond, there seemed to be a complete absence of dragonflies and damselflies compared with my last visit.

However, after a few minutes I spotted a male Emperor Dragonfly resting on vegetation on the far side. As the temperature increased, it must have taken flight and it continued to hawk up and down the pond. I then also saw a female Emperor Dragonfly which came down to the surface of the pond to oviposit. 















Photo: male Emperor Dragonfly















Photo: male Emperor Dragonfly















Photo: ovipositing female Emperor Dragonfly

The only other species that I saw was a single Azure Damselfly.















Photo: Azure Damselfly

Ruddy Darter and Emperor Dragonfly were both first site records for 2022, bringing the total number of dragonfly species recorded to 10.

I recorded very few bird species on my visit but I was able to add Cormorant to my site list for 2022, a single bird flying very high in a southerly direction, bringing my total number of species recorded to 58.

In addition, whilst at the pond in the north of the site, I was able to watch and photograph a pair of very active and calling Common Buzzards. This was my best encounter so far of this species at the site and I am sure that they are the birds that I have been seeing from my flat fairly regularly, especially as one of them has some of its remiges (secondaries) missing. I think it is also likely that this pair has been breeding in the area given the frequency of sightings since early spring.















Photo:  Common Buzzard















Photo: Common Buzzard















Photo: Common Buzzard















Photo: Common Buzzard















Photo: Common Buzzard

Both Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs are still evident: I heard 3 singing male Blackcaps and saw a single male Chiffchaff and heard 3 others as I walked around the site.

Finally, I heard a Reeves’ Muntjac “barking” in the wooded area adjacent to the eastern section of the cemetery.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Wren
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Common Buzzard
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Cormorant

Reeves’ Muntjac

Marbled White
Large Skipper
Small Skipper
Essex Skipper
Meadow Brown

Emperor Dragonfly
Azure Damselfly

Site totals to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 58  (41)
Mammals = 6  (3)
Butterflies = 22  (10)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 10  (7)
Reptiles = 1  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Slava Ukraini! …. Glory to Ukraine!

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.