Tuesday 28 June 2022

Trip away from SS15 – Suffolk, Norfolk and Yorkshire

I booked a rental car from 25th June to 28th June 2022 for a trip away from home to include visits to a number of sites in SuffolkNorfolk and Yorkshire.

This was my fourth spring/early summer trip by car away from home, after those in late April 2022, mid-May 2022 and mid-June 2022.

There were 2 undoubted highlights during my trip: Black-browed Albatross at RSPB Bempton Cliffs and European Bee-eater at Trimingham in Norfolk.

I saw the Black-browed Albatross at RSPB Bempton Cliffs last year (see here, here and here) but I only had a brief view of this very rare vagrant from the Southern Hemisphere. Therefore with the same bird returning for its third summer on the exceptionally early date of 30th March 2022 (see here and here), it would have been rude not to try again to see and photograph this magnificent species.

I have seen European Bee-eaters on numerous occasions in several European countries, sometimes in quite large numbers at their breeding colonies, but I have only seen this species on a single occasion in the UK, a breeding pair at Bishop Middleham Quarry in County Durham in August 2002. Therefore, a visit to see the birds at Trimingham was definitely part of my planned itinerary.

BirdGuides - Bee-eaters nest in Norfolk for first time

During my trip, I added a further 7 species to my UK year list for 2022 taking it to 194 speciesBlack-browed AlbatrossEuropean Bee-eaterLittle TernSpotted RedshankPuffinBarn Owl

European Bee-eater and Nightjar were also both additions to my Norfolk list taking it to 265 species.

In addition, I also recorded the following butterflies and moths: Small Tortoiseshell, Emperor Moth (caterpillar), Ringlet, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Large Skipper, Small White  

.... and the following dragonflies and damselflies …. Emperor Dragonfly, Broad-bodied Chaser, Four-spotted Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer, Ruddy Darter, Azure Damselfly and/or Common Blue Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly 

.... and the following mammals …. Reeves' Muntjac, Rabbit, Grey Squirrel

25th June 2022 …. Suffolk and Norfolk

After picking up my rental car at 8 a.m., I drove up to RSPB Minsmere in Suffolk.

I had planned on taking a boat trip from Morston Quay in Norfolk to see and photograph the Common Seal and Atlantic Grey Seal breeding colonies at Blakeney Point. However, despite it being a dry and sunny day, it was also very windy so I aborted this plan and instead visited RSPB Minsmere.

After checking in to my campsite and having something to eat, I spent the last 2 hours before it went dark at Kelling Heath.

See here for further information and photos

26th June 2022 …. Norfolk

On 26th June 2022, I visited RSPB Strumpshaw and Trimingham in Norfolk.

See here for further information and photos

27th June 2022 …. Yorkshire

On 27th June 2022, I visited RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire

See here for further information and photos 

πŸ’šπŸ¦† πŸ¦‰πŸ¦‹πŸπŸ¦ŠπŸ¦‘🌼 πŸŒ³πŸ’š
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.