Monday 20 March 2023

First Chiffchaffs of the spring!

This morning, I had a regular exercise walk rather than a start-stop-look-listen wildlife walk around one of my local patch sites.

As I walked up Church Hill, I heard 2 singing male Chiffchaffs in the woodland either side of the road. These were my first records of the spring.

To me, the sight and sound of this tiny Phylloscopus leaf warbler always marks the start of spring, as much as the other arriving spring and summer migrants are a joy to welcome back.

Last year, I had my first Chiffchaff record on 17th January 2022, a calling bird in the St. Nicholas Church cemetery. This species is increasingly over-wintering in the UK due to our warmer winters so this bird was presumably one of the residents from the previous summer or an individual that possibly followed a wandering tit flock on to site.  My first spring record was on 14th March 2022.

Here are 2 photos of Chiffchaffs that I took in late March 2022 around my St. Nicholas Church local patch site ....
















#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.