Saturday 18 March 2023

Records from my flat - Blackbird and Common Buzzard

I recorded my first singing male Blackbirds of the year at my St. Nicholas Church local patch site on 14th February 2023 and 15th March 2023.

Today, both early in the morning and late in the evening, I heard my first singing male Blackbird of the year from my flat.

Like most song birds, Blackbirds fall silent after the breeding season and do not normally resume singing until the end of January or early February or even as late as early March. This is much later than other species and I have heard singing Robins from as early as late December and early January and Great Tits, Blue Tits, Dunnocks, Wrens and Song Thrushes for some weeks now.

My records of Common Buzzards are now becoming more frequent again and in recent days I have seen them both from my flat and around my St. Nicholas Church local patch site .... see my last visit to the latter on 15th March 2023 for the most notable sighting of the year to date.

This afternoon at 1:45 p.m., I had a very brief sighting of a Common Buzzard from my flat.

I have recorded Common Buzzard sightings from my flat since 2021. Sightings are increasing and last year I was almost convinced that there was a resident and possibly nesting pair in the area since I also frequently saw birds over my nearby local patch site around St. Nicholas Church.

This is the summary of my Common Buzzard sightings from my flat for the last 2 years ....

2021: 11 dates with those records involving 13 birds

2022: 26 dates with those records involving 38 birds

This is the summary of my Common Buzzard sightings from my flat for 2023 to date ....

February: 23rd (a single bird)

March: 11th (a single bird), 12th (a single bird), 18th March 2023 (a single bird)

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.