Saturday 11 March 2023

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve – 11th March 2023

Date: 11th March 2023

Time: from 9:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 1°C to 5°C

It was a sunny, albeit cold, morning for my visit with a few remnants of ground frost.

Nonetheless, the amount of bird song suggested that spring is not too far off with singing RobinsGreat Tits and Blue Tits particularly evident but also a few Wrens and singles of Song Thrush and Dunnock. I also saw and photographed a Wren collecting nesting material in the area around Willow Pond.

The main highlights during my visit were a male and female Chaffinch in the wooded area between the Spanish Steps and Prewers Pond, a species that I have only seen on a few occasions at the site so hopefully this is potentially a breeding pair, and 2 male Mallards which splash-landed in to Meadow Pond whilst I was there.

As I arrived home, I heard a “mewing” Common Buzzard and quickly located a soaring bird …. see here. This is a species that I am now seeing regularly from both my flat and my adjacent St. Nicholas Church local patch site. I have also recorded Common Buzzard at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve but only on a few occasions. It is a species that is increasing both its range and population so hopefully I will begin to record it more frequently at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve.

Another sign of spring coming is the emergence of Blackthorn and there are a few flowering plants now around the site. The strangest sight that I saw, however, was a flowering Oregon Grape which I identified from my Seek app. A Google search tells me that it is .... "native plant in the North American West from south east Alaska to northern California, and eastern Alberta to central New Mexico, often occurring in the understory of Douglas-fir forests (although other forest types contain the species) and in brushlands in the Cascades, Rockies, and northern Sierra Nevada." I am not sure how it ended up at Noak Bridge Nature Reserve! 

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Mallard

Here are some photos from my visit:















Photo: Wren

Photo: Wren
















Photo: Wren

Photo: Song Thrush















Photo: Woodpigeon

Photo: male Mallard
















Photo: male Mallard















Photo: male Mallard

















Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 22  (30)
Mammals = 1 (2)
Butterflies = 0  (15)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (5)
Reptiles = 0  (2)
Amphibians = 0  (2)

Total species list for the site:


Birds = 45
Mammals = 3
Butterflies = 21
Dragonflies and damselflies = 13
Reptiles = 2
Amphibians = 3

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

1 comment:

  1. Apparently the Oregon grape is considered an invasive species as it can displace local vegetation. It was introduced into Europe 200 years ago and has been slowly spreading, with birds and mammals eating its blue berries and distributing the seeds. Though I think there is only one small patch of it in the Reserve.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.