Wednesday 15 March 2023

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 15th March 2023

Date: 15th March 2023

Time: from 8:15 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 2°C to 5°C

I had an excellent visit this morning: 23 bird species recorded (including Mallard added to my 2023 site list and 3 Common Buzzards) plus up to 6 Red Foxes.

I accessed the site as usual via the track from Larkins Tyres. At the start of the track, I saw c.20 Redwings flying through the scrub area behind Larkins Tyres. At the end of the track in the wooded clearing I saw a Green Woodpecker.

From the wooded clearing, I took the short walk through the trees to the fence, my regular watchpoint overlooking the field, scrub, hedges and trees in the north of the site. For the rest of my visit, I spent time here and walking around this area.

From the watchpoint, I heard and then saw a singing male Goldcrest in the surrounding wooded area plus I heard another calling Green Woodpecker and a calling and briefly “drumming” Great Spotted Woodpecker.

After some time at this location, I climbed over the fence and walked across the field to one of the small ponds where I was surprised to see a pair of Mallards. This is a species that I have recorded at the site on a few occasions but always as a fly-over sighting. This was a new site record for me for 2023, taking the total to 33 bird species. I expected the Mallards to immediately fly off when they saw me but they remained on the pond enabling me to get several photos.











































Photo: male and female Mallard



























Photo: male and female Mallard



























Photo: male and female Mallard




























Photo: male and female Mallard



























Photo: male Mallard



























Photo: male Mallard



























Photo: male Mallard



























Photo: male Mallard



























Photo: male Mallard



























Photo: female Mallard



























Photo: female Mallard

In this same area, I also saw a calling and singing male Greenfinch.

I eventually returned back to the watchpoint by the fence. From here, I had my first sighting of a single Common Buzzard which I was able to watch for several minutes being harassed by a Carrion Crow.















Photo: Common Buzzard and Carrion Crow

Photo: Common Buzzard and Carrion Crow
















Photo: Common Buzzard and Carrion Crow

Photo: Common Buzzard and Carrion Crow
















Photo: Common Buzzard and Carrion Crow















Photo: Common Buzzard 

The Common Buzzard eventually disappeared from view but after around 10 minutes I saw it, or another bird, very distantly at the very far side of the field. This bird landed in a tree and was quickly joined by another. Through my binoculars it appeared that they were at a nest but it was too distant to confirm this.

Photo: heavily cropped shot of 2 Common Buzzards at a presumed nest

I therefore climbed over the fence again and walked back across the field.

The 2 Common Buzzards had flown from the tree but there did indeed appear to be a nest. Whether this was a new nest or an old one from last year, and possibly that of a Carrion Crow or Magpie, was unclear. However, I will definitely be watching this area with some interest over the coming weeks.

Photo: tree with presumed nest (top centre left)

I quickly spotted the 2 Common Buzzards soaring and I deduced that they were presumably a pair judging by the size difference and their regular interaction. After some time, a third Common Buzzard appeared and began soaring in close proximity to the other 2 birds. I was able to watch all 3 Common Buzzards for around 15 minutes. 















Photo: Common Buzzard 

Photo: Common Buzzard 















Photo: Common Buzzard 

Photo: Common Buzzard 
















Photo: Common Buzzard 
















Photo: Common Buzzard 
















Photo: Common Buzzards
















Photo: Common Buzzards

Finally with regard to birds, song was again very evident, particularly singing RobinsGreat Tits and Blue Tits but also a few Wrens and Dunnocks. However, I also heard a singing male Blackbird, my second record of a singing bird this spring.

With regard to mammals, I had 6 sightings of Red Foxes. Although there may have been some duplication, I did see at least 3 different animals.

My first sighting of a Red Fox was from the track from Larkins Tyres although the view was partially obscured by the dense vegetation. I had 4 further sightings whilst I walked around the field and the area of scrub, hedges and trees in the north of the site and I was able to photograph one of these animals.
















Photo: Red Fox

As I returned home, I had my final Red Fox sighting with a single animal running across the scrub area behind Larkins Tyres.

As on my last visit, I also saw 2 Grey Squirrels in the wooded area adjacent to the access track from Larkins Tyres.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):


Goldcrest
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Redwing
Blackbird
House Sparrow
Starling
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Common Buzzard
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie 
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Mallard
Black-headed Gull 
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull

Red Fox
Grey Squirrel

Here are some other photos from my visit:



























Photo: Blue Tit



























Photo: Robin



























Photo: Goldcrest






















Site totals for 2023 to date (2022 totals in brackets):

Birds = 33  (45)
Mammals = 3  (5)
Butterflies = 0  (17)  
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0  (7)
Reptiles = 0  (0)
Amphibians = 0  (0)

Total species list for the site:

Birds = 60
Mammals = 7
Butterflies = 22
Dragonflies and damselflies = 9
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

#DefendNature .... Please help save and enhance our laws that protect our environment and wildlife 

💚🦆 🦉🦋🐝🦊🦡🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.